Australian government invests $10 million in foreign language learning

·

The Morrison government released a statement today promoting their new $10m community languages grant program now open for applications.

Acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs Alan Tudge said the grant program will promote multi-skilled Australian workers.

“Learning a language other than English helps prepare students for a workforce which is increasingly global and competitive,” Mr Tudge said. 

“We want more children and students learning a foreign language, which will in turn have positive impacts well into the future.”

About 1000 community language schools across Australia may be eligible for the grants. These schools specialise in 69 different languages and teach more than 100,000 school-aged children.

“Australia is the most successful multicultural society in the world, with Australians speaking more than 300 different languages,” Mr Tudge said.

“Not only does speaking another language assist on the global stage, it also strengthens social cohesion by connecting young Australians to other cultures.”

Under the program, eligible language schools that apply for funding will receive a base payment of $1,500, as well as a per capita amount of funding based on student enrolment numbers, capped at a maximum of $30,000 per school per year. 

The funding may be used to assist with operational costs such as staff wages, teaching materials and resources.

Applications for the first stream of funding are now open and will close on 17 February 2020. 

A second stream of funding will open in early 2020, with up to $25,000 available for projects that support the community language school sector through the development of teaching resources and professional development programs.

For more information about the Community Languages Multicultural Grants Program and how to apply, visit the Community Grants Hub website at www.communitygrants.gov.au.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Jon Adgemis vacates luxury Sydney mansion amid legal battle over his mum’s home

Disgraced former KPMG dealmaker Jon Adgemis has vacated the $20,000-a-week Point Piper mansion dubbed the "Bang & Olufsen house."

St Basil’s Fawkner bosses forced to give evidence to state coroner

Two managers at St Basil’s Fawkner will be made to give evidence about the deaths of 50 residents after a failed Supreme Court battle.

Accused Easey St killer Perry Kouroumblis previously gave police an alibi, court hears

Accused Easey Street killer Perry Kouroumblis has told police he was with a friend on the night two women were brutally stabbed in 1977.