Victorian deputy premier says triple zero death of Nick Panagiotopoulos is ‘deeply upsetting’

·

Victorian deputy premier, James Merlino, has weighed in on the death of Nick Panagiotopoulos, whose desperate calls to triple zero went unanswered for 15 minutes.

His call was supposed to have been answered within five seconds.

Mr Panagiotopoulos’ death was brought to light by The Age on Wednesday, which reported that paramedics arrived 25 minutes after the Melbourne father first called for an ambulance while experiencing severe chest pains on October 16.

Despite their best efforts to save his life, paramedics were unable to keep Mr Panagiotopoulos alive.

Paramedics.

In response to this news, Mr Merlino said Mr Panagiotopoulos’ death was “deeply upsetting” and will be investigated by the coroner and the Inspector General for Emergency Management.

“There are no words that I can say to this family or any other family that have lost a loved one… We do not want families to go through what this family has,” the Victorian Deputy Premier said.

Mr Melino confirmed the state government was funnelling money into the issue, telling reporters 43 additional Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) staff had been hired.

“I think it’s important the government acts, and that’s exactly what we’ve done,” he said.

Victorian Deputy Premier, James Merlino.

Victorian Opposition Leader, Matthew Guy, said the state government was failing to properly manage the health system.

“If they can’t get the health system right now, they’ll never get it right. Maybe the problem actually is with the government and not the system,” Mr Guy said on Wednesday.

Mr Panagiotopoulos’ death due to flaws in the system is not the first in Victoria this year. In April, a 32-year-old Caulfield woman was found dead in her home more than six hours after calling an ambulance.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Opposition tables censure motion against Greek government as new protests erupt over Tempi

The Greek government is facing a motion of censure after PASOK leader Nikos Androulakis tabled the motion in Parliament on Wednesday.

Former politician Milton Orkopoulos jailed for 20 years over sexual abuse of boys

Milton Orkopoulos, a convicted paedophile, faces up to 20 years in jail for his "calculated, and predatory" assault of four boys.

Mytilenian Brotherhood of Sydney to ring in 2026 with festive New Year’s Eve celebration

The Mytilenian Brotherhood of Sydney & NSW will welcome the new year in style with a vibrant New Year’s Eve celebration at Mytilenian House.