Thieves target Melbourne’s Asylum Seeker Resource Centre twice in two days

·

The founder and chief executive of a Melbourne charity supporting asylum seekers has made a tearful appeal after the organisation was targeted by thieves for the second time in just a few days.

Kon Karapanagiotidis, who runs the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC), revealed that the charity’s Footscray site had been broken into twice within 48 hours, causing significant distress and disruption. He shared the news in an emotional video posted to X on Wednesday.

“I’ve been here since 4am this morning, we’ve had doors kicked in, glass broken,” Karapanagiotidis said in the video. “Over these two days, we’ve had laptops stolen, nappies, sleeping bags, thousands of dollars worth of pre-paid Myki cards, and emergency packs taken. The place has been turned upside down.”

Since its founding in 2001, the ASRC has been a vital lifeline for asylum seekers, providing food, assistance with refugee status applications, and support for employment. Karapanagiotidis noted that in the months leading up to Christmas, demand for the charity’s foodbank services had surged by 50%.

Photo: 9News.

The burglaries are expected to cost the charity tens of thousands of dollars, not only in stolen goods but also in repairs and the necessary security upgrades.

“At the end of the day, we’re just going to have to dive into our savings,” he said. “We can’t afford to stay closed, we have over 7,000 people relying on us.”

The ASRC has provided CCTV footage to the police, who are investigating the break-ins. Despite the emotional toll, Karapanagiotidis expressed compassion for those responsible.

“I know there are so many Australians doing it tough right now with this cost of living crisis,” he said. “I’m trying to remain compassionate. But who robs a charity? Especially twice?”

The impact of the thefts, Karapanagiotidis said, was deeply painful. “They’ve taken from the mouths of families—that’s what makes it so painful.”

The ASRC is now appealing for donations to help recover from the losses, with Karapanagiotidis urging anyone who can to contribute via the charity’s website or by dropping off food at their donation locations.

Source: 9News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

You May Also Like

Souvlaki GR in Melbourne fined $75,000 after employee injured in rotisserie accident

Takeaway shop Souvlaki GR in Plenty, Melbourne has been fined $75,000 after employee’s hair caught in a rotisserie machine.

Andriana Petrakis to make international tennis debut at Virtus European Summer Games

Part of the newly announced Australian team competing in the Virtus European Summer Games is 19-year-old Greek Australian, Andriana Petrakis.

Focus on childcare bottom dollar leads to more safety breaches, report finds

Sydney-based early childhood educator Theodora Hatzihrisafis says providers put kids at risk when they squeeze their staffing budgets.