Sydney’s longest running delicatessen, Olympic Deli, closes its doors after 65 years

·

Sydney’s longest running delicatessen, Olympic Continental Deli, has closed its doors after 65 years in Bankstown Plaza, the Local News Plus has reported.

Olympic Deli was established by the Karpouzis family in 1956 and has been serving generations of locals in the Canterbury-Bankstown region ever since.

Panagiotis (Peter) Karpouzis migrated to Australia in 1948 from the village of Paleokipos, Lesvos.
He became business partners with Manolis Lagoutaris in a milk bar at Guildford. An opportunity arose to lease premises on Chapel Street, Bankstown, and Manolis and Panagiotis instantly opened Olympic Deli.

READ MORE: Vasili’s Taxidi: Sydney’s Longest Running Delicatessen – Olympic Continental Deli.

Olympic Deli in Bankstown.

At that time, delicatessens were the trojan horse of the Australian cuisine as they initially only imported goods across Europe to cater for the European migrants.

But Manolis and Panagiotis catered for all their customers’ range of needs and tastes, learning how to make small goods, smoke their meats and make their own continental sausages.

Manolis passed away in 1980 and Panagiotis retired four or five years ago, with daughter Joanne at the helm since then.

“I’ve worked here for 30 years and I’m now caring for dad and mum who has dementia,” Joanne told Local News Plus.

Sydney’s longest running delicatessen, Olympic Deli, closes its doors after 65 years. Photo: Vasilis Vasilas.

“I’ve been in mourning for the shop for a while now because it was getting too much for me. I have a nephew who doesn’t live in Australia but if he did, we may have continued as he loved it. It’s not easy to leave, me and my two sisters were born upstairs, this is our second home. But after working 50 or 60 hours a week, it’s time to say goodbye.

“Also COVID knocked us around last year and we had a big drop in business; most younger people now would rather shop at a supermarket, so it’s definitely time to go.

“Dad, mum, my sisters and myself would like to thank all of our wonderful customers over the years; we will miss you more than you know.”

Source: Local News Plus.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

‘It represents family and honour’: Artist Ox King explains his ‘Hestia’ mural

"I got a comment from a lady that said her entire family came over on the Patris and she showed a picture of the mural to her mother, and it made her cry, which I thought was really touching," Ox King tells the Greek Herald.

Fortis eyes Adelaide expansion with $150m North Adelaide luxury project

Luxury developer Fortis, the property arm of Sydney investment and private credit firm Pallas Group, is planning an expansion into Adelaide.

Teacher, Sia Goutzas, on the single-sex versus co-ed school debate in Australia

Teacher, Sia Goutzas, and her daughters have given her thoughts on the single-sex versus co-ed school debate in Australia.