Sydney woman avoids jail despite ‘crucial role’ in fatal assault of Ross Houllis

·

A mother of three who lured 28-year-old, Ross Houllis, to the secluded western Sydney car park where he was fatally assaulted has avoided full-time imprisonment despite her “crucial role” in the attack, 7News has reported.

Loubna Kawtharani, now 28, pleaded guilty earlier this year to being an accessory before the fact of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

READ MORE: Sydney mother-of-three admits to role in death of Ross Houllis.

Kawtharani admitted posing as a buyer on Facebook marketplace in early 2020 for Apple earphones that Ross Houllis was seeking to sell.

Loubna Kawtharani, now 28, pleaded guilty earlier this year to being an accessory before the fact of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

According to 7News, the pair arranged to meet at a Wakeley car park on the evening of February 14, 2020, to complete the purchase, however, police allege Houllis was instead met at the car park by Sami Hamdach, Kawtharani’s partner, and Abdul Karaali.

The pair are accused of demanding money and severely beating Houllis, leaving him with catastrophic injuries to the brain and lungs which ultimately caused his death.

READ MORE: Man charged with murder after assaulting and killing Greek-Australian Ross Houllis.

‘Deep regret’:

Defence lawyer, David Carroll, told Kawtharani’s sentencing hearing at Campbelltown Local Court on Monday that his client was not present when the fatal assault occurred and was not legally responsible for Houllis’ death.

But she acknowledged her moral culpability and apologised to his family, 7News reports.

“She certainly does accept the heavy burden of being responsible morally for what followed,” Carroll said.

“She carries the deep regret and shame and sorrow every day of her life.”

Carroll also said there was a difference in Kawtharani’s case “between the criminality and gravity of consequences” wrought by the fatal assault.

But magistrate George Breton said Kawtharani knew her partner well enough to understand his alleged confrontation with Houllis may turn violent.

Source: 7News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

A postcard brought to life: Billy Cotsis explores the soul of Patmos

There is something about the freedom of being out on the Aegean. One can visit small islands, more populated islands, deserted beaches or simply go fishing.

From tragedy to triumph: Christina Vithoulkas becomes Australia’s first female para drifter

Vithoulkas never lost her love for extreme sports. Now 30, she has found the same thrill in drifting—a motorsport where cars slide sideways.

Program of the 11th International Summer University in Boston announced

The 11th International Summer University "Greek Language, Culture and Media" will take place from May 24-29 in Boston.

Hellenic Writer’s Association of Australia hold student literary competition

The Hellenic Writers’ Association of Australia has announced its annual Student Literary Competition, titled “From Greece to the World”.

Athens university develops first tool to measure TikTok addiction

A research team from the University of Athens has created the world’s first tool specifically designed to assess addiction to TikTok.

You May Also Like

Katerina Sakellaropoulou sworn in as Greece’s first female president

Greece’s first female president, a former high court judge, was formally sworn in to office Friday, nearly two months after the country’s parliament voted overwhelmingly to elect her.

National Remembrance Day for the Genocide of the Greeks of Asia Minor

The great fire of Smyrna was catastrophic as over 100,000 Greeks and 30,000 Armenians were slaughtered by the Turks.

First Greek Cypriot who settled in the occupied north passes away

Nicolas Skourides, the first Greek Cypriot to build a house and settle in the northern part of Cyprus has died.