‘She broke down’: Tiny dancers miss Christmas concert due to COVID rules

·

Tiny dancers will miss out on performing in a dance concert on Sunday after one tested positive to COVID-19, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

The children were deemed close contacts of the girl who tested positive on Wednesday after they rehearsed in the same dance studio last Saturday. The 11 girls have so far tested negative but are required to isolate for 14 days.

One of the parents, Zoe Vayanos, said her nine-year-old daughter, Isabella, was devastated she would miss her dance concert.

“…our kids are getting the raw end of the stick on this one. The mental health ramifications aren’t being weighed up against the possible risk of viral transmission,” Zoe told the SMH.

Tiny dancers will miss out on performing in a dance concert on Sunday after one tested positive to COVID-19.

Another parent, Andria Kafkakis, said her daughter Ava, 10, “broke down” when she told her the concert wasn’t going on.

“She said ‘my heart is dead.’ It has cost her a lot. She doesn’t even get to say goodbye to her friends at school and finish the school year,” Andria told the media outlet.

Currently, children exposed to a positive case at school have been treated as casual contacts and allowed to return to school a day after receiving a negative test result.

A spokesperson for NSW Health told the newspaper this exemption is to provide “an option for close contact children (who are exposed at school) to not miss out on further face-to-face learning.”

“Outside of school, children must remain in isolation for the duration of their self-isolation period,” the spokesperson said.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Victorian Police search creek for body of missing Hells Angel associate, Kerry Giakoumis

Victorian Police are searching a creek on the outskirts of Melbourne for the body of missing Adelaide Hells Angel associate, Kerry Giakoumis.

Police fire tear gas to break up banned gatherings in Greece

Left-wing opposition parties decried the ban as unconstitutional, although the country’s highest administrative court, the Council of State, ruled otherwise.

Greek Energy Minister welcomes EU decision to cut gas consumption by 15%

EU member states will cut gas consumption by 15% to avert a winter crisis triggered by a sharp reduction of Russian gas supplies.