Russia accused of using secret weapon to attack CIA agents such as Marc Polymeropoulos

·

Russia is accused of using a secret “microwave weapon” to attack two CIA agents in Australia under a worldwide campaign that has allegedly caused brain injuries to diplomats and spies.

The so-called Havana Syndrome has been reported for years after American diplomats stationed in Cuba suddenly started hearing strange chirping and grating noises that always occurred while they were at home or in hotels.

What happened next was terrifying, with victims suffering headaches, memory and hearing loss, and difficulty sleeping for years. Some have become wheelchair-bound while others have been forced to wear weighted vests to correct their balance.

But it’s the first time that the mysterious attacks have been reported on Australian soil.

Former CIA official, Marc Polymeropoulos, visiting Moscow in late 2017, where he says he was attacked by a microwave weapon.

According to a report in GQ magazine, The Mystery of the Immaculate Concussion, the two men were in Australia to hold talks with ASIO and other intelligence agencies under the Five Eyes intelligence-sharing alliance with the US, the UK, Canada, and New Zealand.

“While in their hotel rooms in Australia, both of the Americans felt it: the strange sound, the pressure in their heads, the ringing in their ears. According to these sources, they became nauseous and dizzy,” journalist, Julia Ioffe, wrote.

In the same report, retired CIA officer Marc Polymeropoulos, who helped run clandestine operations in Russia and Europe, also claims to have been attacked in December 2017 in Russia.

He reportedly suffered severe vertigo in his hotel room in Moscow and developed debilitating migraine headaches that forced him to retire from the CIA.

Polymeropoulos said it was difficult for him to speak out about the attack but said that since speaking to GQ, he had been inundated by messages of support from former CIA colleagues.

Polymeropoulos spoke out because he believed the dozens of US officials left ill by the attacks have been abandoned by the Trump administration, which has expelled Cuban diplomats over the issue but never pointed the finger at Russia.

“This was a very difficult decision to speak out [sic]; I only wish for the United States Government to do the right thing and provide proper medical care for patriots who have suffered what is no doubt a combat injury,” Polymeropoulos said.

In response, US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, insisted all officials who had reported being harmed were receiving care.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

You May Also Like

Greek government progresses double taxation talks, consular support under review

Bill Papastergiadis met with Greek officials in Athens, receiving optimistic updates on double taxation negotiations and consular support.

Marriott and Makris Group to open Australia’s first mainland luxury collection property

Marriott International Inc. has signed an agreement with Makris Group to open Marina Mirage Gold Coast, a Luxury Collection Resort in 2027.

Alex Hawke MP announces increased flexibility for citizenship applicants

Federal Government has announced changes that will streamline the pathway to citizenship for some of the most talented Australians.