NSW public school teachers to strike for first time in decade over pay and staff shortages

·

New South Wales public teachers will strike for the first time in more than a decade in response to a “statewide staffing crisis” caused by stagnating wages and an escalating workload, The Guardian reports.

The NSW Teachers Federation president, Angelo Gavrielatos, said a unanimous vote among council members passed on Saturday morning.

Principals will join with teachers on Tuesday, December 7 for the 24-hour strike, accompanied by a statewide advertising campaign to be rolled out on television, radio and print.

“Principals and teachers don’t take this decision lightly. Over the course of the last 18 months we have exhausted all options available to us to arrive at a negotiated settlement with the government,” Mr Gavrielatos said.

READ MORE: Angelo Gavrielatos says teacher vaccine rule will ‘add stress’ on the education system.

NSW Teachers Federation president Angelo Gavrielatos. Photo: Dean Lewins / AAP.

The union had failed to successfully lobby the state government to lift a 2.5 percent wages cap that it said had contributed to decline in graduates. The number of vacant permanent positions in NSW schools had increased by 80% since June.

“We are facing a perfect storm: plummeting new graduate numbers, rising enrolments, an ageing workforce which spell out acute teacher shortages,” he said.

“If we don’t act now, workloads will continue to rise and salaries will continue to fall relative to other professions.”

READ MORE: ‘Very nervous about it’: Greek parents react to NSW Government’s return to school plan.

The Teachers Federation says if action isn’t taken teachers will continue to leave the industry in droves. Photo: ABC News / Teachers Federation.

NSW Premier, Dominic Perrottet, said he had already made it “very clear” to the Teachers Federation that the government’s position remains that public servants in NSW get a 2.5 percent pay increase.

“I had a very constructive conversation with Angelo [Gavrielatos] yesterday in relation to the issues… and I said I would take them on board but ultimately this is a matter that will be brought to the Industrial Relations Commission — that’s where it will be resolved,” Mr Perrottet said.

“We need to have a fair and balanced approach; I understand some of their specific concerns and my commitment to them is that I will work through them as we go through the next 12 months.”

Source: ABC News and The Guardian.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

South Melbourne FC set for historic OFC Pro League final showdown

South Melbourne FC will contest the inaugural OFC Pro League final against Auckland FC after a 4-0 semi-final win over Vanuatu United FC.

South Melbourne FC hail ‘extraordinary achievement’ after booking OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC have reached the inaugural OFC Pro League final with a dominant 4-0 semi-final win over Vanuatu United FC in Auckland.

You May Also Like

Greek yoghurt among essentials slashed in Australian supermarket price war

Greek yoghurt is among hundreds of everyday grocery items to see price cuts as Woolworths and Coles ramp up their supermarket price war.

Honouring the past through young eyes: Students bring OXI Day spirit to life through art

In this year’s special OXI Day edition, The Greek Herald was proud to showcase some of our favourite artworks from the competition.

Kyrgios and Humbert to square off at Wimbledon in epic rematch

Stefanos Tsitsipas will meanwhile look to claim his first Grand Slam trophy, following his narrow loss to Djokovic in the Roland Garros final.