Michael and Deanna Parzakonis enter ‘lotto’ to buy land for their dream home

·

Those wanting to build their dream home are being made to play a form of Lotto to get new blocks in Sydney’s southwest, amid a crippling land shortage and the fastest land price rises in two decades, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Housing experts say the southwest has been at the centre of the land crisis due to the promise of a second airport at Badgerys Creek pushing up demand.

In response, the Telegraph reports that developers have introduced mechanisms such as lot ballots – lotteries where buyers have their name pulled out of a draw for the chance to get a sales appointment.

The Village in Menangle.

In Michael and Deanna Parzakonis’ case, they recently bought a block of land in Mirvac estate, The Village, in Menangle in the outer southwest after their name was drawn out of a ballot.

The couple were entered into the ballot with 300-odd buyers for the chance to get a sales appointment for one of about 30 blocks. They told The Telegraph, the experience was “stressful.”

“Your number determines where you are in the pecking order. We were the 40th pulled out and, luckily, there were other buyers who backed out, so we got a block,” Michael Parzakonis told the newspaper.

“It’s ridiculous how much demand there is, especially for an area so far out. I’m just relieved it’s over.”

NSW Treasury announced in June that 42,000 homes would need to be built every year over the next four decades – or 1.7 million by 2060 – to meet growing demand.

Southwest Sydney is now earmarked to pick up some of the slack with NSW Planning Minister Rob Stokes revealing new land in the area would be rezoned.

About 18,000 homes could be built in Glenfield, Lowes Creek Maryland, Leppington and Wilton, of which 2700 could be ready in three years.

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Leon Vitogiannis, Stefanos Maragkakis transform rebetiko with Australia’s Hellenic Choir

The Australian Hellenic Choir will hold its latest concert event 'Rebetiko Reimagined,' featuring Rebetiko music arranged for the modern era.

April 21, 1967: The military coup in Greece

On the morning of April 21st, 1967, Greek people woke up to a coup d'état, which led to the imposition of a seven-year dictatorship in Greece.

Heiress faces new charge after Sydney crash that injured chauffeur George Plassaras

New charges have been laid against LanLan Yang, who allegedly caused a collision in Rose Bay that left chauffeur George Plassaras injured.