George Calombaris’ restaurants suffered $20 million in financial loss

·

The restaurant empire of chef George Calombaris suffered from serious financial trouble for more than three years, being dealt $20.7 million in losses before it went into voluntary management last month.

According to a report by KordaMentha which was released Tuesday, Calombaris’ company and its affiliate, Made Establishment, suffered huge financial problems.

The report shows that since fiscal year 2017, Hellenic Republic restaurants and Jimmy Grants souvlaki chain have had the largest liabilities in management.

“The group has not been profitable for the last three years or for the period until January 2020,” the report said. “Total pre-tax losses during this period total $20.7 million.”

The report shows that the company was bleeding financially, with companies related to its major shareholder Radek Sali investing $11.5 million to avoid bankruptcy, as the company was also facing a staffing scandal.

The Fair Work Ombudsman revealed in 2019 that $7.8 million was repaid to current and former employees.

As Calombaris’ empire went into administration at the beginning of this year, George posted on Instagram to display his sadness.

“My dream for MADE Establishment 13 years ago was a vision to create something truly special for all those who entered our restaurants,” Calombaris posted on his personal Instagram account.

Read More: Calombaris’ empire crumbles as he places 22 businesses in voluntary administration

“To all my team, I truly regret it has come to this. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your loyalty and friendship … I’m gutted it’s come to this.”

Fair Work Ombudsman Sandra Parker said media coverage and vilification of Calombaris meant there was a high deterrence factor stemming from negative publicity.

KordaMentha blamed “difficult trading conditions in the hospitality industry” and services such as UberEats for changing costumer tastes to cheaper dining options, leading to the business not being able to turn around despite strong reviews.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

You May Also Like

Nick Xenophon preparing political return

Nick Xenophon has flagged his intention to run as an independent at the upcoming federal election next year.

Canberra’s Hellenic Kids returns with three creative Christmas workshops

Get ready for a festive experience this Christmas with Hellenic Kids as the popular Christmas Workshops return on Wednesday, December 18.

Perth Mayor Basil Zempilas draws on Greek migrant heritage to denounce Price’s comments

Basil Zempilas has condemned remarks targeting Indian migrants, backing Sussan Ley’s decision to sack Senator Jacinta Nampijinpa Price.