Flood crisis: Thousands of Sydney residents ordered to evacuate

·

A worsening flood crisis in New South Wales has led to evacuation orders for large parts of north-west Sydney ahead of more heavy rainfall expected today.

According to ABC News, the weather system that drenched the state’s north has been sitting off the Central Coast but is now heading onshore and is expected to make landfall later today.

In response, evacuation orders were issued this morning for flood-affected parts of the city with thousands of people living along the Hawkesbury River in Sydney’s north-west and Georges River in the south-west told to evacuate by 9am.

READ MORE: Flood crisis: Rescues in northern NSW resume, Queenslanders wait for waters to recede.

The SES said that 300,000 people are now under evacuation orders.

A flooded street in Penrith, Western Sydney, as water began to rise yesterday. Photo: AAP Image / Dan Himbrechts.

Many roads across Sydney also remained closed due to flooding, including the Bells Line of Road at North Richmond, the Yarramundi Bridge and Windsor Bridge.

More than 100mm of rain fell over parts of Western Sydney overnight and the Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting that flooding along the Hawkesbury and Nepean Rivers could be worse than that seen this time last year.

Fatalities in the northern NSW disaster zone continue to mount, with four people confirmed to have died as of Wednesday night.

MORE INFORMATION: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Nick Bourdaniotis donates Evzones photo exhibition in Athens to Greece’s Presidency

Nick Bourdaniotis has donated the entire Athens exhibition of 'The Evzones Collection' to the Presidency of the Hellenic Republic.

Greece launches new AI digital travel assistant

Tourism Minister Olga Kefalogianni unveiled "mAIGreece," a new digital travel assistant app, at the National Gallery of Greece.

George Kambosos Jr. ready to defend his title in unified mega fight

Kambosos is tipped to defend his “jewels” in a unified mega-fight against WBC champion Devin Haney next year in Australia.