Ex-cop launches legal action over James Gargasoulas and the Bourke St massacre

·

Former police sergeant, Frank Caridi, who attempted to thwart the Bourke St massacre by warning his bosses of James Gargasoulas’ murderous intentions, has launched a high stakes legal battle against Victoria Police.

According to the Herald Sun, Mr Caridi is suing his former employer for negligence claiming he continues to suffer nightmares and post-traumatic stress disorder, and will never work again as a result.

In a statement of claim lodged in the County Court this week, Mr Caridi said he has been unable to work since the January 2017 tragedy in which six people were killed and 27 were injured after Gargasoulas deliberately drove his car into the busy CBD mall.

James Gargasoulas and the Bourke St massacre. Photo: ABC.

READ MORE: Coroner hands down findings on Gargasoulas’ 2017 Bourke Street rampage.

Mr Caridi, 56, told the Herald Sun he believes lives would have been saved if his calls to arrest Gargasoulas – over the attempted stabbing murder of his brother the night before – had been acted on earlier.

Instead, he said he was given “ridiculous excuses’’ as to why the critical incident response team (CIRT) would not respond.

“I know the outcome would have been different and lives would have been saved had we acted earlier,’’ Mr Caridi told the Herald Sun.

Frank Caridi. Photo: Jason South.

Court documents state Mr Caridi was aware that Gargasoulos was “erratic, psychotic and had the propensity to cause injury or death” if not immediately arrested, the Herald Sun reports.

Mr Caridi claims Victoria Police was negligent in failing to act upon and disregarding his warnings and he has suffered anxiety and depression as a consequence.

Mr Caridi also said he was treated poorly by Victoria Police in the lead up to giving evidence to the Coronial Inquest into the Bourke St rampage, and has been targeted and vilified for not protecting the “brotherhood” of the police force.

He is claiming compensation for damages and loss of future earnings.

Source: Herald Sun.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Samos marks double celebration of faith and freedom with Australian diaspora presence

The historic port town of Pythagoreio, Samos, was the scene of both religious devotion and patriotic pride on August 6.

Adelaide businessman Ross Makris launches new private property fund

Ross Makris has launched a new private property fund, Interstellar Capital, in an attempt to capitalise on the sell off of shopping centres.

Introducing, historian, Vasilios Vasilas and The Greek Herald’s EXCLUSIVE ‘Vasili’s Taxidi’ series

With the first part of his latest book, ‘Little Athens (Volume One): Marrickville’ being published this year, Vasilios Vasilas has teamed with The Greek...