Buildings stand empty as Australian universities left without international students

·

Two new university accommodation blocks built in Sydney by Scape Australia will stay empty this year, as hundreds of international students fail to arrive for the start of the new university semester.

Co-founder and Chief Executive of Scape Australia, Stephen Gaitanos, told The Sydney Morning Herald that a new building to house 200 students that has just been completed in Darlington, inner Sydney, was originally scheduled to start welcoming residents this week.

These plans were made well before the COVID-19 pandemic hit, but those plans are now up in the air after Federal Education Minister, Alan Tudge, said recently that the large-scale return of international students to Australian campuses may depend on the availability of an effective vaccine.

The empty rooms at the new student accommodation building at Darlington in inner Sydney. Credit: Edwina Pickles / Sydney Morning Herald.

“It’s terribly frustrating to effectively have to mothball it,” Mr Gaitanos said to the SMH of the accommodation.

Scape Australia is also set to complete construction in June of another building in Redfern with 700 bedrooms, and has plans for student accommodation towers in Melbourne. All are expected to remain empty this year.

Last year, the Federal Government requested that each state and territory submit by November international student arrival plans through safe quarantine corridors.

The NSW government developed a plan to start returning 1000 students a week from the beginning of 2021, but Premier Gladys Berejiklian shelved that when the northern beaches was locked down.

Tighter caps on the number of Australians allowed to return to other states were also introduced as a temporary measure in response to more contagious strains of the virus.

Mr Gaitanos said the uncertainty in the position of governments had been “frustrating and inconsistent.”

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Nick Kyriazopoulos to step down as General Manager of GOCSA

After almost 15 years with the Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia, General Manager Nick Kyriazopoulos will step down in October.

Tsitsipas conquers Isner as he prepares to face Busta in French Open

Stefanos Tsitsipas has quelled the fire of American John Isner to reach the fourth round of the French Open under lights at Roland Garros.

Greek PM assures no immediate danger as Santorini faces unprecedented seismic activity

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis reassured the public on Friday that there is no "immediate danger" from the ongoing wave of earthquakes.