Australian gunman Brenton Tarrant sentenced to life without parole for NZ massacre

·

The Australian gunman who carried out the March 2019 Christchurch mosque attacks has been sentenced to life without parole, the first time a whole life term has been handed down in New Zealand.

Brenton Tarrant pleaded guilty to 51 charges of murder, 40 counts of manslaughter and one charge of terrorism in March this year.

Handing down sentence in the Christchurch High Court today, Justice Cameron Mander said Tarrant had shown cruelty and callous indifference in carrying out his ideologically driven crimes.

Justice Mander said the gunman appeared entirely self-absorbed, and neither contrite nor ashamed.

The Australian waived his right to make any sentencing submissions, but instructed a standby lawyer to tell the court that he did not oppose a sentence of life without parole.

He showed no emotion as the sentence was handed down.

Survivors of the shooting, as well as the relatives of victims, had addressed the court during the four-day hearing.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Drew Pavlou claims ‘Billie Eilish got me deported from the US’

Australian activist Drew Pavlou says he was deported from the United States after spending 30 hours at LA International Airport.

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC off to winning starts in NPL Victoria

South Melbourne FC and Heidelberg United FC opened the new Victorian National Premier League season with wins.

George Calombaris returns to Melbourne with Auto Greek pop-up

George Calombaris is returning to Melbourne’s hospitality scene with Auto Greek, a one-month pop-up opening February 27.

Luke Sparos named as alleged mastermind of Moradian gangland murder

Luke Sparos has been identified as the man police allege orchestrated the 2023 execution-style killing of underworld figure Alen Moradian.

Sydney Olympic FC five-star display crushes SD Raiders FC

Sydney Olympic produced a commanding 5-1 victory over newly promoted SD Raiders FC in Round 2 of the NPL Men’s NSW.

You May Also Like

George Kyriakidis spared jail after dangerous driving incident causes death of 16-year-old boy

Kyriakidis acknowledged his life had been permanently altered by his decision to take a shortcut home that day, and was already serving “a greater personal punishment” than any other he could be brought to bear.

Victorian Labor commits $50 million to upgrade infrastructure for multicultural communities

A re-elected Andrews Labor Government will deliver better spaces for communities in Victoria with a new fund to upgrade community facilities.

Jon Adgemis seeks deal with creditors amid debt crisis

Hospitality mogul Jon Adgemis is seeking to avoid bankruptcy by proposing a personal insolvency agreement to his creditors.