Aged care regulator threatens to revoke licence of St Basil’s Fawkner

·

The aged care regulator has threatened to revoke the licence of the facility at St Basils Home for the Aged in Fawkner, as the facility is at the centre of one of Victoria’s largest COVID-19 clusters.

The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission has issued St Basil’s Fawkner with a Notice to Agree, citing concerns about the serious impact of the outbreak on the residents and staff, and the aged care centre’s handling of it.

Under the notice, the home in Fawkner must not admit any new residents until it can demonstrate to the Commission’s satisfaction the “serious risk” to residents has been effectively addressed.

Health authorities try to get the coronavirus outbreak under control in St Basil’s Fawkner.

It must also appoint an independent adviser until St Basil’s Fawkner is declared free of all positive cases of COVID-19 and is declared safe by the Victorian Government’s Public Health Unit.

At the home, nine residents have already died and coronavirus cases linked to the facility jumped from 78 to 84 on Monday, making it Victoria’s largest aged care outbreak.

This morning, Victorian health authorities said a total of 79 residents have been moved from the home, while around 36 residents have stayed.

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt told ABC News Breakfast the staff at the facility were being led by an experienced nurse.

“Our role is to make sure that those remaining residents are safe, and the advice that I had as of late last night and early this morning is that the conditions are stable,” Mr Hunt said.

Notices from the aged care regular have also been issued to Menarock Essendon Aged Care and Estia Health in Heidelberg, where outbreaks including more than 50 people have occurred.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Cruise passenger fees in Greece to increase from July 1

revised fee will be charged per passenger and per port, with the amount varying depending on the time of year.

Olympia Anastasopoulou: ‘Proud to be re-opening Greek National Tourism office in Australia’

Olympia Anastasopoulou tells The Greek Herald she is 'proud to be re-opening Greek National Tourism office in Australia.'

Federal MP Alex Hawke avoids expulsion from NSW Liberals

Federal MP Alex Hawke survived an expulsion motion put forward by the NSW Liberals last week. Read more here.