Australia extends ban on outbound international travel to at least March 17

·

International travel bans will remain in place until at least March 17 as the federal government sets out to extend its biosecurity emergency period by another three months.

The move followed advice from the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) that COVID-19 was an ongoing threat and still posed significant public health risk despite the emergence of the Pfizer vaccine.

Health Minister Greg Hunt said the coronavirus situation was still escalating in many other countries.

“The disease is spreading as quickly as ever,” he said.

“The international world remains a challenging and dangerous environment and Australia won‘t be fully safe until the international community is safe.”

The biosecurity emergency period was set to end on December 17, but the three month extension meant limits would remain on outbound international travel and on international cruise ship arrivals.

Australians can only leave the country with specific exemptions, with Mr Hunt revealing 95,325 exemptions had been granted since the emergency period was first put in place on March 18.

The advice to extend the declaration was accepted by the National Security Committee and will be put to the Governor-General for final approval on Thursday.

Getty Images: Zinkevych

Acting Chief Medical Officer Professor Paul Kelly said it was a difficult, but necessary decision.

“We weighed up all of the issues, as the Minister has pointed out, but particularly the ongoing situation internationally and the sort of risks that could come to Australia if we relaxed at this point,” he said.

Sourced By: news.com.au

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Sydney’s Pontians honour genocide victims through prayer, art and remembrance

Members of three Pontian associations in NSW gathered in Sydney on Tuesday, May 19 to commemorate the victims of the Greek Genocide.

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

Art exhibition at Sydney’s ANZAC Memorial to honour veterans’ service in Greece and Crete

Lustre is a powerful collection of art works and short films exploring the Allied campaigns in Greece and Crete during the Second World War.

Andrea Michaels appointed Associate Justice of South Australia’s Supreme Court

Cypriot Australian Andrea Michaels has been appointed Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of South Australia.

You May Also Like

Hellenic spirit shines at the opening of the Odyssey Greek Festival 2025

The opening night of the 2025 Odyssey Greek Festival was a vibrant celebration of culture, memory, and community

TGH Exclusive: Author of ‘The First Third’ Will Kostakis reveals the positive impact of his yiayia on his work

The Greek Herald sat down with author Will Kostakis to talk about his recent book Monuments, influences when writing The First Third and how his yiayia has impacted his works.

Nick Kyrgios comes out on top in ‘Special Ks’ clash at the US Open

Nick Kyrgios has defeated his doubles partner, Thanasi Kokkinakis, in the first round of the US Open 6-3 6-4 7-6(4).