At least 79 dead and hundreds feared missing after migrant boat sinks off Greece

·

At least 79 migrants have drowned and hundreds more were missing and feared dead after their overcrowded boat capsized and sank in open seas off Greece, AP News has reported.

The incident is one of Europe’s deadliest shipping disasters in recent years.

It was unclear how many passengers were missing but an aerial photograph of the battered blue vessel released by the Greek coast guard showed scores of people covering practically every inch of deck.

This undated handout image provided by Greece’s coast guard on Wednesday, June14, 2023, shows scores of people on a battered fishing boat that later capsized and sank off southern Greece. Photo: Hellenic Coast Guard via AP.

A painstaking search-and-rescue operation for survivors continued overnight with the coast guard, navy and merchant vessels and aircraft in place.

Coast guard spokesman Nikos Alexiou told state ERT TV that the 25- to 30-metre vessel capsized after people abruptly moved to one side.

A coast guard statement added that efforts by its own ships and merchant vessels to assist the boat were repeatedly rebuffed, with people on board insisting they wanted to continue to Italy. Coast guard officials said the trawler’s engines broke down around 1.40 am on Wednesday and just under an hour later, the ship started to list abruptly from side to side before capsizing.

The ship sank 10 to 15 minutes later, the statement said.

So far, 104 people have been rescued. Survivors have been taken to the Greek port of Kalamata near Pylos.

Survivors of a shipwreck rest at a warehouse at the port in Kalamata town, about 240 kilometres southwest of Athens, Wednesday, June 14, 2023. Photo: www.argolikeseidhseis.gr via AP.

At the port of Kalamata, around 70 exhausted survivors bedded down in sleeping bags and blankets provided by rescuers in a large warehouse, while paramedics set up tents outside for anyone who needed first aid.

Greece’s caretaker prime minister, Ioannis Sarmas, has declared three days of national mourning, “with our thoughts on all the victims of the ruthless smugglers who exploit human unhappiness.”

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Perry Kouroumblis to stand trial for 1977 Easey St murders as rape charge dismissed

Perry Kouroumblis has been ordered to stand trial in the Supreme Court on two counts of murder over the 1977 Easey Street killings.

18-year-old Johnny Frilingos victorious at Canberra’s Blessing of the Waters

On Sunday, January 7, the Canberra Greek community came together to celebrate Saint John’s feast day, in conjunction with Epiphany Day.

Socceroos star, Chris Ikonomidis, departs Perth Glory FC after two seasons

Perth Glory Football Club can today confirm that Chris Ikonomidis will not be re-signing with the club after two seasons.