Aresti Vassiliou’s family build accessible home in Victoria to keep him out of aged care

·

An eastern Victorian family has built an accessible home for their son who has a disability and hopes to be reimbursed by the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

According to ABC News, 36-year-old Aresti Vassiliou was diagnosed with a large tumour in his frontal lobe at the age of three. The surgery resulted in brain damage and, after a fall at a playground, years of seizures.

When ambulances tried to help Aresti one day during his time of need, paramedics took over an hour to get him out of the 1960s house he had grown up in. Narrow spaces made it difficult to manoeuvre him.

“Aresti got so upset, really distressed,” his sister, Catherine Vassiliou, told ABC News.

The family decided to build an accessible house, with widened doorways for emergency cases, a structural supported bathroom, climate control and other changes. They wanted to ensure Aresti did not end up in an assisted disability space in the future.

Photo by Marcus Aurelius

The NDIS allows for people living with disabilities to receive funds for support with daily living.

The Vassiliou family consulted their occupational therapist before making changes to their home and told ABC News they will apply for the NDIS in order to be reimbursed for the total cost of the accessible features. 

“That peace of mind that some of it could be covered through NDIS was great,” Catherine said, expressing her wish to see more companies get on board with accessible builds.

Metricon, alongside other builders, will soon be building more accessible homes, as a result of the National Construction Code (NCC) coming into effect last week.

Metricon regional manager for Gippsland, Jason MacGregor, said the changes would be included in the price of future builds.

“We feel very privileged to have made this design into a liveable home for Aresti,” Mr MacGregor said.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Andy Ferrara named among Adelaide’s young chefs shaping the future of dining

Adelaide’s emerging culinary stars are making waves across South Australia’s best restaurants. Among those recognised is Andy Ferrara.

Greece ranks second worldwide for Blue Flag beaches

Greece has once again secured its place among the world’s top beach destinations, ranking second globally with 624 Blue Flag beaches.

You May Also Like

Greek Community of Melbourne’s AGM reflects on challenging 2020 while setting sights on brighter 2021

"This will be a hub and meeting space for all Greek Australians and will act as a catalyst for future projects," Bill Papastergiadis said, referencing the new Youth and Elderly Centre.

Magnitude 6.3 earthquake jolts Greek island of Crete

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.3 on the Richter scale hit the Greek island of Crete on Tuesday afternoon.

Myladie Stoumbou: The Tech Executive encouraging women to follow their STEM dreams in style

The Greek Herald sat down with Myladie and discussed digital inclusion, equality and the need for more female role models in STEM professions.