Alex Agelopoulos handed jail sentence after violent pitch invasion at Melbourne A-League game

·

Violent football fan, Alex Agelopoulos, has been sentenced to three months’ jail for injuring an A-League goalkeeper with a metal bucket as a chaotic pitch invasion unfolded at Melbourne’s AAMI Park last year. Mr Agelopoulos was then immediately released on bail.

Mr Agelopoulos’ attack on football goalkeeper Tom Glover made headlines worldwide.

Mr Glover, who now plays for English Championship side Middlesbrough, suffered a cut that required 10 stitches and a concussion.

Tom Glover sustained head injuries in the pitch invasion. Images: Darrian Traynor

The incident occurred during the A-League derby match between Melbourne City and Melbourne Victory on December 17 when about 120 to 150 people from the northern stand stormed the pitch in the 20th minute.

In a victim impact statement, Mr Glover said he had been left a “permanent reminder” of Agelopoulos’ offending by the scar on his right cheek.

He told the court that he was now fearful and anxious when out in public and felt wary when stepping out on the pitch as memories of the attack remained.

On Tuesday, Magistrate Rosemary Falla said she wanted to send a “clear message” that the actions of Agelopoulos and other pitch invaders would not be tolerated.

“You and your cohort have stained the very fabric of football in Australia,” Magistrate Falla said.

Mr Agelopoulos was granted bail and will next appear in the County Court for a sentence appeal hearing in December.

Source: ABC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

On This Day in 1996: Greek politician, Andreas Papandreou, passed away

On June 23, 1996, Greece lost its first leftist PM and great reformist Andreas Papandreou, a politician who was adored by some and disliked by others.

Melbourne fertility pioneer Nick Lolatgis set to retire early

Dr Lolatgis has abruptly announced his retirement, leaving behind a months-long wait list for his breakthrough pregnancy treatment.

Greece imposes total lockdown as of 6am, March 23

Greece has decided to impose a total lockdown and restrict the movement of citizens from 6am, March 23, in order to contain the spread of coronavirus.