331 cases of coronavirus in Greece, 4 dead

·

Greek Health Ministry representative, Sotiris Tsiodras, announced Sunday that 49 new coronavirus cases have been reported, raising Greece’s total to 331.

Forty-four patients are said to have not traveled overseas and neither did they come in contact with people who were ill.

“We will know more about the progress of the disease in the country in the next two weeks. But an estimated period of two months could be necessary until the country can breathe again,” said health official Mr Tsiodras.

The death toll in Greece remains at four, with the fourth victim being a 53-year-old man who worked at the hospital at Kastoria, northern Greece. He is the youngest recorded fatality in Greece however, he reportedly had a pre-existing heart condition.

Mr Tsiodras stressed that strict measures restricting movement and crowding in Greece were necessary to prevent more deaths and infections.

“We are also calling for health surveillance of any citizen returning from a foreign country and restriction of contacts for 14 days,” he said.

Despite these increased measures, thousands of elderly, who are the most vulnerable to coronavirus, continue to flock to churches across the country.

So far only one evangelical church in Athens has closed its doors and offered online services, with an official decision expected from the Holy Synod at its extraordinary meeting later today.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Greeks who survived Holocaust as children speak out after decades of silence

“I celebrated my seventh birthday inside the camp of Bergen-Belsen with a piece of bread and sticks for candles,” recalls 83-year-old Lola Angel, one...

‘Resign, Mr. Mitsotakis’: Tsipras claims Greek PM failed to manage COVID-19

Greek opposition leader Alexis Tsipras made a bold call for the resignation of Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

Greek culture shines at Bentleigh Festival as MANASIS students perform

On Sunday, February 23, students from the MANASIS School of Greek Dance and Culture performed at the Bentleigh Festival.