Celebrating Christmas in summer comes with certain perks, and a lot of them centre around a thirst-quenching cocktail on a warm summers day.
Here a 5 Greek-inspired Christmas cocktails that will give your Christmas day a touch of Greek summer:
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 15ml lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 45ml Metaxa
- 15ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed ice
- 30ml tonic water, chilled
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the mint with the brown sugar and lime juice.
- Add the Metaxa, lemon juice and ice.
- Shake well and strain into an ice-filled highball glass.
- Top with a splash of the club soda.
Ouzo and Lemonade
- 60ml ouzo
- 45ml lemon juice
- 3 mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 90ml water (iced)
- Pour ouzo into glass.
- Add lemon juice and mint leaves, muddle to release flavours in mint leaves.
- Add honey and mix until honey dissolves.
- Pour water in glass and mix. If needed, add more water to dilute the ouzo taste.
*Alternatively, mixing ouzo, ice and Sprite is an extremely simple and refreshing drink!
Blueberry & Lemon Mastiha Cocktail
- 60ml Mastiha Liqueur, chilled
- 90ml soda water, chilled
- 1 lemons
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cups crushed ice
- Poke/open each blueberry to release flavour.
- Combine Mastiha Liqueur and blueberries, refrigerate for 30 minutes to soak.
- In a freezer safe container spread blueberries in a single layer and freeze for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cut lemon in half for a fresh squeeze of lemon juice in each cocktail.
- To serve: add 1/2 cup crushed ice, 1/2 cup Mastiha Liqueur blueberries, 30ml Mastiha Liqueur, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and fill to the top with sparkling soda water.
Ouzotini (from 1821 Restaurant, Sydney)
- 15ml ouzo
- 30ml Absolut Vodka
- 15ml Peach Schnapps
- cinnamon stick
- Pour ouzo, Absolut Vodka and Peach Schnapps into cocktail shaker.
- Mix together with muddled mint and lime.
- Shake until slightly diluted.
- Pour into glass, garnish with lime and cinnamon stick.
Cucumber, Lime and Tsipouro
- 3-4 tablespoons tsipouro
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) cucumber juice
- 1/4 of a lime
- 1 teaspoon sugar or maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 3 mint leaves
- 1/4 cup tonic water
- 4 ice cubes
- Ice cubes, 2 green olives (pitted), cucumber slices (to serve)
- To extract cucumber juice, blend the cucumbers in the blender or food processor and put a large piece of cheesecloth over a bowl. Pour the pureed cucumbers over the cheesecloth, wrap tightly and squeeze hard.
- In a shaker, lightly muddle the mint with the sugar, salt, and lime.
- Add the tsipouro, the cucumber juice, and the ice cubes and shake very well.
- Pour in a tall glass, add soda water, 2-3 cucumber slices, and fill with ice cubes.
- Pierce the olives with a toothpick and place them on the rim of the glass.