Revithia sto fourno, baked chickpeas, is something everyone must make at least once – it’s just that good. Using only five of the most ordinary of ingredients, this positively perfect authentic, rustic peasant dish is a cinch to make for the modern home cook.
- 250gr of dried chickpeas (soaked overnight and boiled for one hour or until tender. Drain but save the liquid)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ½ cups of chopped onions
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°c. Using your casserole dish, create a layer with onions and crushed rosemary, salt & pepper. Next, add a layer of cooked chickpeas.
- Add 3 cups of the saved liquid and the extra virgin olive oil. Stir gently to combine slightly, with the aim of leaving the onions on the bottom.
- Cook for 2 hours loosely covered and then uncovered for additional 30mins (total cooking time — 2 1/2 hrs)
Serve as a main dish, accompanied by smoked trout, olives or feta cheese and fresh bread.