Hundreds of Greek people will be heading to The Sydney Fish Markets this Easter weekend in the hope of finding the freshest seafood for their Palm Sunday meal.
This year, they can expect beefed up security and extra long waiting times as the government imposes new restrictions to help stop the spread of the coronavirus.
“Every single person who wants to go to the fish market this weekend will have to have an infra-red temperature check before they are allowed on site,” a statement released by NSW Police reads.
“There will only be 400 people in the whole fish markets at any one time, while obviously adhering to the social distancing rules.”
Now if you still plan on heading into the markets, many of the seafood retailers have made adjustments to their stores ahead of the upcoming weekend.
In fact, Greek-owned seafood retailer, Musumeci Seafoods, and De Costi Seafood have both put limits of only 100 people allowed inside the store at one time.
Faros Seafood in Marrickville is also continuing to provide fresh seafood to its loyal customers, with people standing in long queues outside asked to stand two metres apart. They’re also taking orders via the phone.
But one question still remains. What about those vulnerable people in the Greek community who are unable to physically visit the fish markets in the first place?
The elderly have all been told to stay at home amid the coronavirus pandemic and yet they are the most likely candidates to cook a special fish meal for Palm Sunday.
Fear not because here are some more Greek-owned fish markets offering home delivery alternatives:
- If you’re likely to buy in bulk over the Easter period, M&G Seafood Wholesalers offer a variety of fresh and frozen seafood options.
- You can buy oysters, smoked products, crumbed calamari and even caviar.
- Fresh seafood delivered across Sydney and Central Coast, Mon – Sun (9am – 9pm)
- All you have to do is select your fish product, tell them how you want it to be prepared and then let the experts get to work!
- Select a delivery time that suits you and the order will be delivered to your door within that allocated time.
- Frozen seafood at wholesale prices either delivered to your door or ‘click and collect’ from their warehouse to avoid the queue.
- Seafood choices include: marina mix, cooked prawns, crab meat and even scallops.
- Cooked fish can be delivered to your home via Uber Eats and Deliveroo.