Stallholders remain uncertain as Preston Market redevelopment plan rejected

·

The proposed redevelopment plan for Preston Market in Melbourne’s northern suburbs has been rejected, but stallholders remain uncertain about their future, according to The Age.

Preston Market’s joint owners – Salta Properties and Medich Corporation – had proposed to build 2,200 apartments in blocks up to 20-storeys high.

On Monday, Victorian Planning Minister, Sonya Kilkenny, said she would set planning controls for the development, with buildings to be as tall as 14 storeys and only 1,200 apartments.

“The market must be protected and preserved,” Ms Kilkenny said.

The owner’s vision for the Preston Market, which would neighbour apartments and offices.

The Minister’s statement came after an advisory committee from the Victorian Planning Authority found some development on the site was appropriate but “more of the land should be afforded protections.”

Despite this, the market’s owners and community advocates told The Age they were frustrated about the Minister’s announcement not being specific enough.

“Traders have a right to feel completely abandoned by a process that has delivered nothing but uncertainty for their business,” Salta Properties said.

Last year, Jim Katsaros, the owner of Athina’s Deli, also voiced his frustration over the proposed re-development plans and said: “How many billions do you want to make?”

Source: The Age

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Sydney construction boss George Alex jailed for $10 million tax fraud

George Alex has been sentenced to more than nine years in prison for masterminding a $10 million tax fraud scheme targeting the ATO.

TGH Exclusive: A Greek’s journey to Australia amidst coronavirus restrictions

These days, when the coronavirus nightmare has expanded like a bubble over the earth, Manos Lianopoulos left his "safety belt" in Athens.

Jewellery, Hypnotherapy and the Greek islands: The dynamic life of Claire Aristides

Diamond expert, business owner, hypnotherapist, girl boss, wife, and mother — these are all terms that can be associated with C. Aristides.