Rosemary Franzidis’ husband speaks out as third person charged in relation to fatal crash

·

A third individual has been charged as police continue their investigation into the tragic death of 69-year-old Rosemary Franzidis, who was killed in a high-impact collision when an allegedly stolen Audi crashed into her car. The incident occurred in Murrumba Downs, north of Brisbane, just minutes after Franzidis had attended church mass in Bracken Ridge.

The crash came after a series of car thefts and attempted robberies at gunpoint in the hours leading up to the fatal collision.

Police allege the group involved in the incident first stole a Holden Barina from Northgate, then drove it through several suburbs, threatening women at gunpoint, before stealing the blue Audi from Dohles Rocks Road at Griffin. The Audi, later involved in the crash that killed Franzidis, had been taken under duress in the earlier robbery.

A 21-year-old man from Annerley was arrested on Monday and has been charged with two counts of attempted robbery while in company and armed, one count of robbery in company while armed, and unlawful use of a motor vehicle.

The alleged driver of the Audi, a 16-year-old boy from Caboolture, has been charged with manslaughter and other offences.

Meanwhile, a 35-year-old woman from Caboolture, was arrested on Sunday and charged with armed robbery and unlawful use of a motor vehicle.

Franzidis leaves behind a husband, three daughters and three grandchildren. Photo: 7NEWS.

Despite the grief, Franzidis’ husband, Jean-Paul Franzidis, has said that his wife would have responded with compassion.

“I know a lot of people are angry, but at the moment, I can’t get angry,” he told 7NEWS. “Rose would be praying for that guy right now and all the other kids like him who need to be out of that situation.”

The couple, who had been married for almost 50 years, had been planning a dream holiday to Greece.

“We were planning to go there for her 70th birthday next April but that’s not to be,” Franzidis said.

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to support Jean-Paul and the family with funeral expenses. Organisers praised the Franzidis family for their longstanding commitment to their community, noting their willingness to always help others.

“They’ve been pillars of our community for years, always there to lend a hand, support others through tough times and spread kindness,” the campaign organisers said.

By Monday night, more than $7,000 had been donated, with the family expressing their deep gratitude for the overwhelming support they have received from strangers.

The investigation continues as the community grapples with the tragic loss of a beloved grandmother and the aftermath of the series of violent crimes that led to her death.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald, 7NEWS.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Paris Cockinos’ new $150,000 robot is set to transform workplace safety in Australia

Paris Cockinos from Sphere Drones is set to transform workplace safety in Australia with his new robot, named Spot.

Eleni Petinos MP appointed to NSW Liberals’ shadow cabinet

Miranda MP Eleni Petinos has been recalled to the front bench and appointed Shadow Minister for Finance and Shadow Minister for Sport.

Samantha Mostyn appointed next Govenor-General for Australia

Samantha Mostyn has been appointed as Australia's next Governor-General by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.