‘Tough times do not excuse tougher times at home,’ says Fiona Martin MP

·

The Morrison Government is rolling out extra measures to ensure people experiencing domestic, family and sexual violence know where to get help during the coronavirus pandemic.

The Help is Here campaign will include advertising of two national helplines, 1800RESPECT and MensLine Australia, across television, social media, radio and newspapers, as well as in shopping centres, hospitals and GP surgeries.

Member for Reid, Dr Fiona Martin, welcomed the new campaign and said it will show all Australians that there is free and confidential help at all hours, every day, if they are feeling unsafe in their homes.

“It’s important that anybody who feels unsafe in their home is able access help,” Dr Martin said.

“The campaign aims to make sure everybody in Reid is aware of the two national hotlines where they go for support. Tough times do not excuse tougher times at home.”

Minister for Families and Social Services, Senator Anne Ruston, also supported the campaign and said it will direct people more easily to the hotlines where they can talk directly and confidentially via online chat or phone.

“The campaign delivers the strong message that violence and abuse are never acceptable, no matter the circumstances,” Minister Ruston said.

“Increased stresses at a time like this are known and understandable but they are not an excuse for causing physical or psychological harm.”

Since the coronavirus pandemic began, more than 15 percent of contacts for MensLine Australia have been COVID-19 specific, while 1800RESPECT has seen an 11 percent increase in people accessing support when compared with the same time last year.

If you or someone you know is experiencing or at risk of domestic, family or sexual violence contact 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) 1800respect.org.au or MensLine Australia (1300 789 978) mensline.org.au

For further information on the Federal Government’s Help is Here campaign, visit: www.australia.gov.au/dvsupport

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

British family abused by Greek police after being mistaken as refugees

British woman Tifa Givian, who left Iran 30 years ago and now lives in Greece, was told to "stand with the rest of her people,” after walking through the Lesvos port with her family last weekend.

Skater Arisa Trew becomes youngest ever Australian Olympic gold medallist

Fourteen-year-old Arisa Trew became Australia’s youngest ever Olympic gold medallist after her win at La Concorde skate park in France.

Sydney faithful to honour Father Nektarios Zorbalas at 40-day memorial

An outpouring of love continues to surround the life of Father Nektarios Zorbalas, with a 40-day memorial service to be held this Sunday.