Greek Consulate honours Greek Australian media groups for their excellence

·

By Mary Sinanidis.

Last year, Consul General of Greece in Melbourne, Emmanuel Kakavelakis, invited journalists of the diaspora for a get-together. It was the beginning of a tradition for the feast day of Saint Minas, the patron saint of journalists, celebrated on 10 December though the event itself was held on Sunday, 11 December.

“It is our way of saying a huge thanks to all of you because we have a community which is large and it is important that we have media – digital and print – which honours this community,” Mr Kakavelakis said, adding that he had been impressed by the excellence of journalism in the Greek Australian press upon assuming his duties during the pandemic at a time when COVID-19 was sweeping through aged care homes and claiming many Greek and Cypriot lives.

“The Australian press did not have the same level, quality or scope (in their reporting)… And I’m not saying it as a compliment, but it was my opinion. Of course, someone may say, ‘you didn’t read many newspapers’.”

Having come from Egypt, Mr Kakavelakis told The Greek Herald that there were no celebrations for St Minas’ feast day there.

“There was just one journalist running around trying to do everything,” he said. “I don’t know if the community here is aware of just how privileged it is compared to others.”

Present at the event were Greek Australian media groups active in Melbourne such as 3XY, Ta Nea, Neos Kosmos, SBS, and ERT. The Greek Herald could not be missing from the fold as Australia’s longest-serving Greek Australian national newspaper and the country’s only publication with daily print editions available at news agencies around the country, including Melbourne. 

The Greek Herald Publisher Dimitra Skalkos said it was an honour to attend and reaffirmed her commitment to work with the Greek and Australian governments, as well as other multicultural media groups to ensure the diaspora’s interests are served.

“Our newspaper is leaving a legacy for generations to come,” she said. “By rallying together and working with other media groups, The Greek Herald hopes to not only ensure multicultural media plurality, but is also working to keep alive our language and customs, document our story and lead campaigns of interest to the diaspora, such as the right to vote in Greek elections, a double tax agreement with Greece, and other key issues of importance to the local community.”

The Greek Herald publisher, Dimitra Skalkos (right).

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Adelaide businessman Ross Makris launches new private property fund

Ross Makris has launched a new private property fund, Interstellar Capital, in an attempt to capitalise on the sell off of shopping centres.

Former Bishop of Thessaloniki Anthimos dies at 91

Elder Metropolitan of Thessaloniki, Anthimos, has passed away at the age of 91. Read more details via The Greek Herald.

‘Top priority’ for Greece to include Nikopolis on UNESCO World Heritage Site list

The submission of the candidacy of Nikopolis in the UNESCO World Heritage is ready, revealed the Minister of Culture Lina Mendoni.