Hundreds attend first ever Children’s Greek Bilingual Book Fair in Sydney

·

By Pamela Rontziokos.

The first ever Children’s Greek Bilingual Book Fair in Marrickville, Sydney was a huge success with around 500 people in attendance.

The book fair, held at the Addison Road Community Organisation Gumbramorra Hall, showcased Eleni Elefterias three new children’s books: My grandmother is a musician, When will you play with me? And I want to learn Greek.

John Nikolakopoulos’ new book, Meet the Grammatakia, was also launched on the day.

During the Book Fair, there was a video premiere of Ms Elefterias’ book I want to learn Greek. The author also read her books to the young children and parents in attendance. Dozens of books were sold as parents and the children shopped around the hall for a book of their choice.

“I was amazed by how many people turned up to the first ever Children’s Greek Bilingual Book Fair and Book Launch and by all the support for the promotion of the Modern Greek language,” Ms Elefterias told The Greek Herald.

Athanasia Costa and Christine Gazepis Stavropoulos emceed the event, bringing on stage a range of guests who passionately reflected upon the importance of the Greek language.

Primary school students from Clemton Park Public School danced throughout the afternoon and traditional bouzouki music and Greek singing was performed on stage.

Ms Elefterias said the speech by the Consul General of Greece in Sydney, Ioannis Mallikourtis, was inspirational and watching primary school kids dance “was an absolute highlight.”

Coffee, tea and koulouria were free and generously provided on the day.Dozens of special guests came to show their support for the Book Fair, including Inner West Councillor, Zoe Tsardoulias, and Artemis Papoutsis-Theodoris from the Afternoon and Saturday Schools of the Greek Orthodox Community of NSW (GOCNSW), among many others.

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Veganism: A new approach to Greek Orthodox Easter cuisine?

As Orthodox Easter approaches, the familiar aroma of roasted lamb, kokoretsi and tsoureki fills most Greek households. What do vegans do?

Orthodox Easter: The symbolic journey of death, mourning and resurrection

Orthodox Easter is one of the hallmark religious celebrations as it honours the Resurrection of Christ and the victory of life over death.

Kiria Vicki Sanidas’ traditional magiritsa recipe for Orthodox Easter

Magiritsa is a unique Greek soup made from lamb offal and romaine lettuce, garnished with fresh herbs and finished off with an egg lemon sauce

Sydney event to showcase vital role of multicultural media in shaping Australia’s media landscape

Independent Multicultural Media Australia is hosting an event at NSW Parliament on Wednesday, May 15. Read more here.

World Press Freedom Day 2024: A look at the media landscape in Australia and Greece

This World Press Freedom Day 2024, we take a look at the current media landscape in both Australia and Greece. Read more here.

You May Also Like

‘Erdogan’s reign not over’: Greece’s Foreign Minister reacts to Turkey’s election run-off

The head of Turkey's High Election Board has confirmed the presidential election will go to a run-off between Erdogan and Kilicdaroglu.

Photo Gallery: Eerie silence on Greek streets #StayAtHome

Below are a few supplied photos that represent the eerie feeling that is felt among Greek citizens and people across the globe.It is our job to #StayAtHome.

Greece’s Culture Minister meets with the Greek communities of NSW and Victoria

The Greek Culture Minister, Dr Lina Mendoni, has held meetings with the Greek Orthodox Community of NSW and the Greek Community of Melbourne.