Esther Anatolitis appointed to National Gallery of Australia board

·

Writer and cultural advocate, Esther Anatolitis has been appointed to the council of the National Gallery of Australia by Federal Arts Minister, Tony Burke.

Anatolitis is the former executive director of the National Association for the Visual Arts and has served on a multitude of boards, led art policy projects and contributed to the creation of new precincts, like Melbourne’s Collingwood Yards.

Anatolitis’ appointment comes as the National Gallery’s Council celebrates forty years of governance. Taking to Twitter this morning, she said she was “greatly honoured” by the appointment.

Speaking with The Australian Financial Review, Anatolitis said: “We just had the pandemic, which for most people was the most significant cultural disruption of our time, and we’ve seen just how little support and attention and focus artists were given.”

“When we had health experts saying that we needed to think creatively in order to get out of the crisis, that we couldn’t do the things we’ve done before,” she said.

“This is precisely the time when Australia and the world needs our most creative and critical voices.”

The creative industry veteran said she looks forward to working in her new role and being a part of the post-pandemic recovery efforts that national cultural institutions are currently undertaking.

READ MORE: Esther Anatolitis: ‘A range of government decisions have deprioritised our culture

SOURCE: Financial Review


Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Greek translation of new Public Health (COVID-19 Quarantine) Order 2020 released to community

The Order directs that a person who arrives in NSW from having been in another country before arrival, must isolate themselves for 14 days.

Three missing climbers found dead on Greek mountain near Kalavryta

The bodies of three mountain climbers who had been missing since Saturday near the town of Kalavryta have been found.

Louise Kyriaki: A Greek Australian among the finalists for SA’s Women in Innovation awards

Women in Innovation SA finalist, Dr Louise Kyriaki, answers our 5+1 questions about her background, her research and why she loves her job.