The Greek Welfare Centres of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese have undertaken counselling and food initiatives throughout Australia in order to decisively meet the financial and social needs of people during the coronavirus pandemic.
In NSW, the Greek Welfare Centre will be offering the following services:
- Counselling and psychological support services to specifically tackle issues of anxiety and isolation.
- Education / Practical steps for everyday life, regardless of whether or not people are staying at home.
These specific services are offered free of charge by a psychologist and other specially trained staff of the Centre, and are also available in Greek.
Those who are interested may phone the Centre’s Freecall number on 1800 776 642 from 9am to 5pm, Monday through to Friday.
At the same time, the Centre is also organising a Community Appeal with the aim of collecting canned and packaged food as well as financial donations, in order to help individuals and families that are in need.
If you are interested in contributing to the program you can:
- Phone 0477 375 359 in order to organise for a volunteer of the Centre to collect your contributions from outside your home.
- Phone 0477 375 359 or (02) 9516 2188 if you prefer to leave your contributions at the Greek Welfare Centre (378a King St, Newtown) or at the Brighton Sessional Office (The Millennium Centre, 100 The Grand Pde, Brighton-Le-Sands).
Those who are in need and would like to receive food items are requested to phone the Greek Welfare Centre on 9516 2188 from 8:30am to 5pm, Monday through to Friday.
Other states and territories:
Similar programs for the support of people affected by the coronavirus pandemic are also being organised by the other Welfare Centres of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia.
Those interested may directly contact the relevant Welfare Centre at the details listed below:
- Queensland: 36 Browning St, South Brisbane, QLD, 4101 Ph: (07) 3844 3669
- Western Australia: 390 Charles St, North Perth, WA, 6006 Ph: (08) 9201 9655
- South Australia: 213 Henley Beach Rd, Torrensville, SA, 5031 Ph: (08) 8212 5100