Year 12 student, Ambrose Konstantinidis, shares lockdown experience amid HSC turmoil

·

The last few weeks have been a turbulent time for Year 12 students.

At first, Catholic school leaders called for this year’s HSC exams to be cancelled but this was quickly shot down by the NSW Education Minister, Sarah Mitchell.

Later, the NSW Government announced Year 12 students would return to class in mid-August, but they would need to undergo rapid antigen tests and those in the west and south-west of Sydney would be prioritised for the Pfizer vaccine.

These latest decisions, according to The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH), have caused confusion and feelings of anxiety amongst Year 12 students as they worry about their final exams and the potential health risks.

One of these students is Ambrose Konstantinidis from Sydney Technical High School, who shared his lockdown experience with the SMH and detailed how he’s found it difficult to study.

Ambrose Konstantinidis is a Year 12 student from Sydney Technical High School.

“My fist bangs against the desk as my face falls into my hands. This is the third time I’ve tried to write this practice English essay today. I’m on the verge of exploding,” Konstantinidis said in his personal account.

“I look around my stuffy room at the infinite number of possible distractions. YouTube, Instagram, Facebook. None catch my eye. Instead, my eyes glance down toward something much worse: my unchecked to-do list.

“Are trials really only two weeks away? I feel like I’ve done nothing this entire lockdown. I call my friends. The knot in my chest loosens as I find out that my household isn’t the only red zone in this productivity pandemic facing my me and my peers.”

Konstantinidis goes on to say that although he is trying to see the positives and “reassure himself” everything will be fine, he still finds himself reminiscing about “a better time.”

“I stare at my empty wall. It was where my 99 ATAR goal hung before I binned it. A week ago, I wasn’t sure there’d even be HSC exams. I try to reassure myself. I don’t have it all that bad. My four-unit mathematics class set up an online study group. It was where students sacrificed their precious study time just to help others,” Konstantinidis continues to the SMH.

“I collapse into my chair. As I stare out the window of my cement cage I reminisce about a better time.”

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Izzy the Jerusalem Donkey’: Helen Lakatos releases new kids book for Orthodox Easter

Helen Lakatos is a first generation Australian-born Cypriot, proud mum of two grown boys, and a loving yiayia of three grandchildren.

Kastellorizo and its gold: Nick Bogiatzis to give lecture in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne will present a lecture entitled "Kastellorizo and its Gold" at the Greek Centre, on Thursday

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

You May Also Like

Greek business in NT donates kids bikes to Salvation Army for Christmas

For the 10th year in a row NT Greek owned business, Halikos group, has donated kids bikes to Salvation Army.

Turkish Defence Minister accuses Greece of ‘playing the victim card’

Turkish Defense Minister, Hulusi Akar, has accused Greece of “playing the victim card” in its relations with Turkey.

Vanessa Pappas announced as interim CEO of video sharing platform ‘TikTok’

Ms Pappas wrote on Twitter that she was "proud and humbled" to take on the interim role.