Year 12 student, Ambrose Konstantinidis, shares lockdown experience amid HSC turmoil

·

The last few weeks have been a turbulent time for Year 12 students.

At first, Catholic school leaders called for this year’s HSC exams to be cancelled but this was quickly shot down by the NSW Education Minister, Sarah Mitchell.

Later, the NSW Government announced Year 12 students would return to class in mid-August, but they would need to undergo rapid antigen tests and those in the west and south-west of Sydney would be prioritised for the Pfizer vaccine.

These latest decisions, according to The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH), have caused confusion and feelings of anxiety amongst Year 12 students as they worry about their final exams and the potential health risks.

One of these students is Ambrose Konstantinidis from Sydney Technical High School, who shared his lockdown experience with the SMH and detailed how he’s found it difficult to study.

Ambrose Konstantinidis is a Year 12 student from Sydney Technical High School.

“My fist bangs against the desk as my face falls into my hands. This is the third time I’ve tried to write this practice English essay today. I’m on the verge of exploding,” Konstantinidis said in his personal account.

“I look around my stuffy room at the infinite number of possible distractions. YouTube, Instagram, Facebook. None catch my eye. Instead, my eyes glance down toward something much worse: my unchecked to-do list.

“Are trials really only two weeks away? I feel like I’ve done nothing this entire lockdown. I call my friends. The knot in my chest loosens as I find out that my household isn’t the only red zone in this productivity pandemic facing my me and my peers.”

Konstantinidis goes on to say that although he is trying to see the positives and “reassure himself” everything will be fine, he still finds himself reminiscing about “a better time.”

“I stare at my empty wall. It was where my 99 ATAR goal hung before I binned it. A week ago, I wasn’t sure there’d even be HSC exams. I try to reassure myself. I don’t have it all that bad. My four-unit mathematics class set up an online study group. It was where students sacrificed their precious study time just to help others,” Konstantinidis continues to the SMH.

“I collapse into my chair. As I stare out the window of my cement cage I reminisce about a better time.”

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

More players recommit to Sydney Olympic FC ahead of upcoming season

Sydney Olympic Football Club has today announced that another five players have re-committed to be back in Blue for the 2022 season.

PRONIA and Food for Thought Network join forces for intergenerational workshop in Melbourne

PRONIA and the Food for Thought Network are joining forces to hold an interactive free workshop titled Unlocking Intergenerational Voices.

The Greek Herald’s Easter print edition seen on SKAI TV

Bill Papastergiadis was hosted on SKAI breakfast and spoke about how Greeks of Australia will celebrate Orthodox Easter.