‘Underdog candidacy’: Drew Pavlou on running for Senate at the next federal election

·

22-year-old, Drew Pavlou, was suspended from the University of Queensland last year for protesting against Chinese government influence on Australian university campuses.

His case received international attention and he became a martyr of free speech as his actions enraged the Chinese Communist Party.

Now, over a year later, he’s opened up to The Australian about his new life after going through a “really dark place.”

“Now that I look back on it, I was just so agitated at the time and I was probably quite unwell mentally,” Pavlou told The Australian from his ­parents’ home in Coorparoo, Brisbane.

Drew Pavlou. Picture: Justine Walpole.

“I was ­trying to show a brave face and tough-guy image because, like, I didn’t want to ever be seen as weak… I haven’t talked about this much in the media. I think it got to a point where I did have a sort of breakdown.

“Mentally, I was in a really dark place. I really wanted to die at certain points. Not to the point of taking my own life, but if I got struck down by lightning or if I got hit by a car or something like that, that’d be fine.”

Despite this, Pavlou says he’s getting his life back on track and has resumed the final leg of his Arts degree at The University of Queensland. He’s also reconnected to the Greek Orthodox Community of St George, where he was baptised.

“I have rekindled my Christian faith. That became a big thing for me in trying to remove the hubris, in trying to see something above myself… I’d been quite spiritual when I was younger,” Pavlou said.

“For me, it was always just about the fact that it’s founded on love and compassion… that was my experience of it when I was younger. And I guess I lost that a bit when I grew older and went to university. I’d just gone away from that, sort of drifted away from it.”

With this new outlook on life, his latest plans are to now form his own party and run for the Senate at the next federal election. 

“It’s very much an underdog candidacy. I like the David-versus-Goliath odds. Never say never, right? I’m just going to try and sell a positive vision,” he said to The Australian.

“I’m going to explain my beliefs, how they’re founded very much on humanitarian ­values, how I want a fair economy, how I want to put human rights at the centre of Australia’s foreign policy. I’m not going to be doing the crazy aggressive attacks that I was sort of known for.”

Source: The Australian.

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Izzy the Jerusalem Donkey’: Helen Lakatos releases new kids book for Orthodox Easter

Helen Lakatos is a first generation Australian-born Cypriot, proud mum of two grown boys, and a loving yiayia of three grandchildren.

Kastellorizo and its gold: Nick Bogiatzis to give lecture in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne will present a lecture entitled "Kastellorizo and its Gold" at the Greek Centre, on Thursday

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

You May Also Like

Reverend Father George Liangas from Burwood features in NSW Health’s COVID campaign

Reverend Father George Liangas from St Nectarios in Burwood features in NSW Health's latest COVID-19 community languages campaign.

45th Patrino Karnavali lights up Sydney’s Brighton-Le-Sands

The 45th Patrino Karnavali Sydney lit up Brighton-Le-Sands on Friday, February 24 at The Grand Roxy with their fancy dress.

Mitsotakis: Creating well-paid jobs remains a government priority

Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis on Friday reiterated his pledge to focus on creating well-paid jobs to lower unemployment instead of relying on government handouts.