Santina Vagerakas Costanzo: Meet the Year 12 student who topped Aboriginal Studies in NSW

·

When the Higher School Certificate (HSC) results were released for Year 12 students across New South Wales on Thursday, December 15, Santina Vagerakas Costanzo was overjoyed to find she had ranked first in the state in Aboriginal Studies for 2022 and received an ATAR score of 98.1.

Santina, who has Greek and Italian heritage, chose Aboriginal Studies as part of her coursework at St Scholastica’s College in the Sydney suburb of Glebe to learn more about Aboriginal history.

With a passion for understanding other cultures and the injustice of Aboriginal history, Santina not only received the top ranking in Aboriginal Studies in NSW, but was also top of her class for her major project.

The Aboriginal Studies course provides students with opportunities to learn about Aboriginal Peoples’ relationship to the Land, Aboriginal heritage and identity. Students are required to develop a major protect as part of the course to learn about project colonialism, racism and prejudice, legislation and policy, and national and international indigenous community experiences.

For her major project, Santina topped the class assessment when she created a programme called We build communities not prisons. The Year 12 student embarked on a challenging journey of interviewing elders, CEO’s and people who had been in prison for her project.

In the end, Santina had to devise a website and journal to demonstrate her ideology behind We build communities not prisons.

The Greek Herald spoke with Santina’s mum, Helen Vagerakas Costanzo, about her daughter’s achievements in Aboriginal Studies. She said there were countless hours spent in the library, as well as a tremendous amount of hard work and determination behind the completion of the project.

Helen said Santina also faced challenging moments while completing the course, in particular the major project, but continued to persevere in bringing everything together.

Santina added to The Greek Herald that she was able to overcome these challenges by maintaining a work-life balance and “not burn out.” The student also credited her experience as a day border at St Scholastica’s College as a contributor to her results.

“Having a support network both at home and school, teachers that believed in me, that went the extra mile, friends that supported me and my journey, and a resilience that I built up over my younger years by being at a school more suited to me,” Santina told The Greek Herald about the secret to her success.

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Embrace tradition at the Kytherian Association of Australia’s Debutante Ball

Young females are preparing for their public debut at the Kytherian Association of Australia’s annual Debutante Ball on Saturday, May 18.

Melbourne’s A-league matches pushed back due to Orthodox Easter celebrations

The starting time for Sunday’s A-League elimination final has been pushed back by two hours due to a time clash with Orthodox Easter.

Australian PM announces $925 million package for domestic violence victims

Australia's Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese has announced a five-year $925m investment to help people escape domestic violence.

Family of SA crash victim ‘will never forgive’ killer driver John Tsalapatis

Family members of a "selfless and gifted" schoolteacher who died days after a crash south of Adelaide shared their grief with a court.

Magnis Energy chair Frank Poullas sued by ASIC

ASIC has launched civil penalty proceedings in the Federal Court against Magnis Energy Technologies Limited, alleging the company failed to disclose material information about...

You May Also Like

Jon Adgemis after new debt deal amid failed negotiations with Bain Capital

Public Hospitality Group’s Jon Adgemis isafterr a new deal to save his pub empire after a $500 million refinancing with Bain Capital fell.

Jason Demetriou demands life bans after Rabbitohs player cops alleged racial abuse

Rabbitohs NRL coach, Jason Demetriou, has called for an investigation into the alleged racial abuse against player Latrell Mitchell.

Sandy Constantopedos: The Sydney security technician with the voice of an angel

Sandy Constantopedos is not only a security technician, but he has also sung for the likes of Greek maestro, Themos Mexis.