Pavlos Tsakiris wins prestigious EU Young Farmers Prize for 2020

·

36-year-old farmer, Pavlos Tsakiris, from Neochorouda in Thessaloniki has been named the winner of this year’s prestigious ‘EU Young Farmers Prize’ at the 6th European Congress of Young Farmers.

Tsakiris, who was up against 200 young farmers from 21 European Union member states, won first prize in the ‘Environmentally Sustainable Agriculture’ category for his work implementing environmental and climate practices in the agriculture field.

“I was distinguished and emerged as a winner by simply presenting my daily life and that excites me. It is the greatest reward,” Tsakiris told Greek media outlet, APE-MPE, after his win.

“I did not make a presentation and a video specifically for the competition. I really presented my daily life which seems like something ideal, but honestly it is what we apply to the Tsakiris Family.”

Tsakiris is the CEO of the Tsakiris Family, a family business which has worked in the agricultural and food industry since 1963 in northern Greece.

The company currently has 130,000 chickens while distributing over 4 million eggs per month. By 2021, the company is projected to have doubled its production to 260,000 chickens, with more than 70,000 being raised to organic standards. 

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

243 refugees in Lesvos test positive for COVID-19, while Mt Athos monastery quarantined

243 refugees in the new camp on Lesvos have tested positive for coronavirus. This comes as St Paul Monastery in Mt Athos is quarantined.

Zoe Ventoura on motherhood and starring in latest Broadway musical in Sydney

Zoe Ventoura, Greek Australian actress famed for her role in Packed to the Rafters, talks about her new role in Broadway musical in Sydney.

My People: A historical documentary by Anna Rezan

“My People” film is the untold story of the Jews of Greece during the Holocaust and was screened at Palace Cinema Como in Melbourne.