‘Nearly died in front of my children’: Nick Viropoulos shares experience with COVID-19

·

Father-of-two, Nick Viropoulos, has opened up about his scary ordeal with COVID-19 in a video for the NSW Multicultural Health Communication Service.

In the video, Nick shares how he tested positive for the virus and nine days after he was in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in hospital fighting for his life.

Nick says that although he only had a mild cough at first, his fever continued to worsen and reached “just under 41 degrees Celsius.”

“By trying to reduce my fever, I burnt a hole in my stomach because of the (excessive) Nurofen. So I was bleeding internally,” he says.

“I nearly died in our home in front of my family because I thought I could fight this. I’m a fit, strong, active man and because of our inaction, I nearly died in front of my children on the lounge.”

‘Worst experience of my life’:

Nick’s wife and two young sons, aged 10 and 8, later tested for COVID-19 as well.

“On the day I went to hospital, my wife was separated from our children. For twenty days, our children were on their own, without their mother and father,” Nick says, while adding that they were well-looked after as part of a pilot program at Randwick Children’s Hospital.

In the meantime, Nick was told to say goodbye to his loved ones because after a scan of his chest, doctors thought he wouldn’t survive.

He ended up being in ICU for 16 days and in a coma for 12 and says rehabilitation from the after-effects of COVID-19 and ICU “were the worst experience of my life.”

“I couldn’t walk, I couldn’t speak, I couldn’t lift my hands, I couldn’t control my bodily functions,” Nick explains.

“I went through the rehab process of learning how to walk, I had to learn how to swallow, I still can’t smell and taste food.”

Nick says he also has “neurological nerve damage,” pain in the extremities of his body and his feet, and needs oxygen at night.

This all leads him to give a final warning message in the video – “Do not let this happen to your family, your loved ones, your wife, your children, your friends… Listen to the professionals and protect yourself from this insidious disease.”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

2,500-year-old Greek Illyrian helmet discovered in Croatia

In a ground-breaking archaeological discovery at the site "Gomila" in Zakotorac on Croatia's Pelješac Peninsula, the Dubrovnik Museums team has uncovered a remarkable find,...

Demi Koulizakis: The ‘Cretan soul’ leaving her mark at Sydney Olympic FC

By Takis Triadafillou Sydney Olympic FC’s star signing Demi Koulizakis has been on fire topping the National Premier Leagues Women’s NSW golden boot race with...

Things you didn’t know were vegan to eat this Orthodox Easter

As Holy Week quickly approaches, Greek Orthodox Christians prepare for their journey of spiritual devotion and reflection for Easter. This year, Orthodox Easter falls on...

The role of Greek godparents at Orthodox Easter

Are you a first time nouna or nouno (godparent) curious about your duties this Orthodox Easter? Don’t worry, The Greek Herald’s got you covered. In...

Why we don’t celebrate Orthodox Easter at the same time as Catholics

Have you ever wondered why we celebrate Easter on a different day to the Catholics? Believe it or not, it’s not because we want 50...

You May Also Like

Moray & Agnew recognised as one of Australia’s leading law firms

Moray & Agnew was recently recognised by the International Guide to Law Firms as one of the leading insurance firms in Australia. Doyle’s Guide, an...

‘We are evolving’: The Hellenic Club of Canberra’s President, Andrew Satsias, on future plans

Since its official opening on February 24, 1979, the Hellenic Club of Canberra in Woden has become famous for its fine dining, live entertainment...

Greece’s Prime Minister pledges to ‘fix sins of the past’

Re-elected Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has pledged his conservative government would “fix the sins of the past” and over the next four years...