Nadia Mitsopoulos pays tribute to ABC presenter, Russell Woolf, after his sudden passing

·

Long-time ABC presenter, Russell Woolf, is being remembered as “a great bloke” with “a wicked sense of humour” following his sudden death on Monday night.

One person leading the tributes to the great man is Nadia Mitsopoulos, who hosts the Mornings program on ABC Radio Perth and co-hosted the Breakfast show with Woolf.

In a piece for ABC News, Mitsopoulos reminisces about how the first person she’d see every day when she arrived at work was Woolf and “sometimes I’d get a wave, a chat or a hug.”

“I particularly liked the hugs, followed by a fist pump and his advice to ‘stay strong and go well’,” Mitsopoulos writes.

“But without Russell, the ABC isn’t the same place it was for much of the past 20 years.”

Nadia Mitsopoulos with Russell Woolf.

Who was Russell Woolf?

Early in his career, Woolf was a resources reporter for ABC Rural. He went on to present Afternoons with Verity James on ABC Radio before taking on Drive for several years.

After he left ABC Radio for a while, Woolf became an MC at various public and private events, often arriving in the nick of time on his trusty red moped.

In 2014, Woolf ran for The Senate, taking the frontline with former colleague Verity James in one of many campaigns to Save The ABC.

Later, he went with his wife, Kylie, and daughter, Bronte, to live in Minneapolis after Kylie landed a job in the United States and tried his hand as a stand-up comedian.

Russell Woolf.

But in 2019, Woolf returned to ABC, resurrecting his radio career and bringing comfort to those fans who’d missed him from the airwaves.

Mitsopoulos says less known out of all this “was his role as a mentor and teacher to me and so many others in the industry.”

“Being in his company brought so much joy for so many people. I was so lucky to be given this gift every day at work,” she says.

“I loved having him as my sidekick. He had an endless capacity to make you smile and an infectious laugh that instantly filled everyone around him with happiness.”

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

Meet the two Greek twins awarded the title of ‘Greek Tourism Ambassadors’ in China

"It is our great honour and at the same time a huge responsibility to promote our beautiful country in China!", the sisters said in an Instagram post.

A tapestry of diverse stories from western Sydney: Director Ana Kokkinos on her new film

Award-winning director Ana Kokkinos tells the Greek Herald she hopes "Western Sydney communities are seen" in her latest film Here Out West.

David Kessler: That discomfort you’re feeling is grief

One feeling that creeps into our sense of comfort, however, is grief. The Harvard Business Review (HBR) held an interview with grief expert David Kessler.