My first Thanksgiving as a Greek Australian visiting America

·

I never in my life thought I would be in New York City celebrating Thanksgiving, but here I am.

For a young Greek Australian, the idea of Thanksgiving seemed foreign to me – a holiday I’d only ever see and heard about in the movies.

This year though, it became a reality. I celebrated my first Thanksgiving in America.

One of the biggest realisations I’ve come to while being here, is that there are other people like me.

They’re born in America (or Australia like me), they grew up speaking Greek, they regularly visit Greece in the summer, and even though they have adopted the traditions and customs of their birth country, their love and passion for their Greek culture and heritage remains alive and continues to grow.

Thanksgiving evelyn karatzas
Just the girls & I at the football tailgate before the game. Photo: Evelyn Karatzas.

On Thursday, November 23, my day began with watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade, while preparing for my first Thanksgiving feast with family and friends. The displays were amazing, the performances were great to watch, and it still didn’t feel real to me that I went into that Macy’s in Times Square literally two weeks prior.

After the parade was over, I decided to make a spanakopita to bring to the feast. I made a quick call to my yiayia in Greece to get her recipe which was a family favourite, and a call to my mum back home in Australia to get her tzatziki recipe as that was also a must. I even made a tirokafteri. Even though it was an American holiday, it had a Greek twist.

At 4 pm, everyone gathered around the dining room table. Greek laika music played in the background as we indulged in turkey, spanakopita, pastitsio, lamb, beef brisket, pasta salad, crab salad, Greek salad, saganaki, pita bread, a charcuterie board… the list goes on.

Everything was delicious. We went around the table and said what we were thankful for, raised a glass of wine for the occasion, and then after, we enjoyed coffee and cake. There was pumpkin pie, cheesecake, apple pie and fruit. I was so full by the end of it all.

There was so much food to enjoy for my first Thanksgiving. Photo: Evelyn Karatzas.

Another culture shock I discovered while being here, is football culture and how big of a thing it is. Apparently every Thanksgiving, watching American football (NFL- which I still can’t understand for the life of me) is part of the traditions.

The day after Thanksgiving, I went to watch my first football game in New Jersey. The New York Jets went up against the Miami Dolphins. This was the first ever Black Friday football game in American history, and I got to be a part of it.

It was freezing cold, and I thought growing up in Canberra was bad!

I realised that going to a football game and watching one on tv is about more than just watching the sport here, its about connecting through a love of sport and eating, drinking and making good memories with family and friends. Photo: Evelyn Karatzas

Just before the game, we got to the stadium and I witnessed my first tailgate. This is an American tradition that takes place before a game, where people gather in the car park and eat, drink and get hyped up for the game.

We sat on fold out chairs, blasted Greek music and enjoyed leftover souvlakia, tzatziki and Greek sweets from Thanksgiving. There was ouzo, beers and seltzers as well.

I was shocked at how packed the car park was (or should I say parking lot now that I’m in the US?)

The game consisted of loud crowds cheering, people making bets, eating American hotdogs and pretzels, and drinking beers, and Dunkin’ Donuts coffee and hot chocolates. The Dolphins ended up winning, also.

Evelyn Karatzas football game
I watched the New York Jets VS the Miami Dolphins. Photo: Evelyn Karatzas.

This holiday experience was one I’ll never forget, and there was so much to enjoy. It’s so different being in New York City during this season, rather than in Australia.

I think it’s safe to say I prefer celebrating the holiday season here- you feel it more and it’s nice to be rugged up, look at Christmas displays, put up Christmas decorations and just explore this huge city, there’s just so much to do and see. Each day that goes by here, I meet new amazing people, I discover something new that I love, and another reason to want to stay. See you soon Australia… maybe!

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

‘My Greek Guide to Easter’: Stephanie Timotheou launches latest book in Ikoyenia series

Greek Australian Stephanie Timotheou, 33, was inspired to document traditions that are important to her to pass on to her children.

Grigoris Kasitas discusses May 1st Labour Day and his experiences in Australia

Grigoris Kasitas, aged 60, was born and bred in Athens, Greece. Keen to talk about May 1st as a celebratory event commemorating Labour Day.

Young kids get creative at the Hellenic Club of Canberra’s Easter workshops

Young kids enjoyed fun activities at the Hellenic Club of Canberra’s annual Easter workshop over the weekend, making lots of delicious treats.

Greek-Australian Writers’ Festival announces program for 2024

The 42nd Greek Festival of Sydney is hosting the Greek-Australian Writers' Festival to showcase books and authors telling Greek Stories.

The Greek Herald’s Easter print edition seen on SKAI TV

Bill Papastergiadis was hosted on SKAI breakfast and spoke about how Greeks of Australia will celebrate Orthodox Easter.

You May Also Like

Tom Hanks returns down under to film Elvis Presley biopic

Honorary Greek citizen Tom Hanks is back on Australian shores to film Baz Luhrmann’s big budget Elvis Presley biopic.

Debbie Georgopoulos’ fight for vulnerable women to find affordable housing in Australia

For International Women's Day, Debbie Georgopoulos speaks about her fight for vulnerable women to find affordable housing in Australia

Aristidis Tsoulakos appointed to Victoria’s Multicultural Youth Network

Aristidis Tsoulakos has been appointed to the Victorian Multicultural Commission's (VMC) new Multicultural Youth Network.