Krystina Emmanouilides is paving the way for women in Formula 1

·

Krystina Emmanouilides is a Greek Australian woman carving her way through the male-dominated world of motorsport.

Speaking to ABC News, Krystina shares how she went from dreaming of working in Formula 1 to actually becoming a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) development engineer in Alfa Romeo’s ORLEN Formula 1 team.

“We use data from the track and the wind tunnel, and we do a lot of checks and improvements constantly to increase the quality [of simulations],” Krystina told the media outlet.

Growing up in the inner suburbs of Melbourne, Emmanouilides’ family lived close enough to Albert Park Circuit that the roar of engines soundtracked her childhood. This saw her want to study mechanical engineering but she just had to find a way in.

READ MORE: 13-year-old, Marianos Nikolis, on his dream to become a MotoGP world champion.

Alfa Romeo’s ORLEN Formula 1 team.

“I was doing research on the internet, but there wasn’t a whole lot of information, like, how do you get into F1? It’s a very exclusive field,” she said.

Eventually, she got into Oxford Brookes University and travelled alone to Oxford, 90 minutes north-west of London, UK, to study a field heavily dominated by men.

“The chances that you were in the same class as another woman was always very low,” Krystina explained, while recalling how there were five women in engineering — herself included — out of roughly 300 students.

Nevertheless, Krystina, who is also openly gay, found her group of reliable fellow students who she could lean on when studies became especially challenging and competitive.

READ MORE: Christina Vithoulkas: Becoming a paraplegic made me a stronger, happier person.

“I never wanted to just be treated as one of the guys. But I felt like I belonged. I had worked hard to get there, just like everyone else, I had the same interest as everyone else, I wanted to be in the same place as everyone else. So I belonged there,” she said.

Now, with a foot in the door in the Formula 1 industry, Krystina is focused on not only succeeding and making changes for herself, but for the women and LGBTQI+ community coming through after her.

“There are many steps left in my career progression. And like I said, I’m here to stay but at the same time, I don’t want to take my position for granted. F1 is such a small pool for engineering,” Krystina said.

“As I climb the ladder, and I sort of have a little bit more control over that, I am really keen to make sure that I can be in a position to give more opportunities to students from different backgrounds.”

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

VIDEO: Over 40 migrants found crammed in lorry in northern Greece

Greek police released 40 migrants from a container truck near the town of Xanthi in north-eastern Greece, on Monday morning. Police stopped the lorry for...

The reconstruction of fire-ravaged Mati has been halted due to the coronavirus outbreak

The reconstruction of the seaside town of Mati, which was destroyed by fire in July 2018, has been put on hold due to the coronavirus outbreak.

On this day in 1968, legendary Greek architect Pikionis Dimitris died aged 81

Pikionis Dimitris is remembered as one of societies greatest modern architects, highly recognised for his work in shaping modern Greek architecture, particularly the streets of Athens.