Kosta Papageorgakis’ 600km round trip to find quality potatoes in South Australia

·

The owner of Port Noarlunga Fish and Chips in South Australia, Kosta Papageorgakis, had to close his shop for the first time in 30 years due to the quality of local produce.

What did he do instead?

He travelled 293 kilometres from Port Noarlunga to Bordertown to collect a tonne of quality russet potatoes from a grower, after a delivery of white star potatoes from the Adelaide Hills led to “raw and soggy” hot chips.

READ MORE: ‘I love what I do’: Meet the family behind one of SA’s iconic Fish and Chips shops.

Mr Papageorgakis told The Advertiser the almost 600km round trip was worth it for his customers who expect “crispy” hot chips. He is now set to reopen his shop on Tuesday.

Jimmy Leonardos (founder of the fish and chip shop) with his daughter Marina. Photo: The Greek Herald/Argyro Vourdoumpa.

“My customers come first. I won’t serve s–t to the customers. I don’t want to tarnish my reputation,” Mr Papageorgakis told the newspaper.

READ MORE: Greeks take out awards for the best jaffles and hot chips in Australia.

This sentiment was echoed in an interview between Mr Papageorgakis and The Greek Herald in early January, where the shop owner stressed: “We have a long-lasting legacy and we will not let it slip.”

Different reasons for the poorer potato quality have been suggested, with Mr Papageorgakis blaming early harvesting of potatoes for the problem.

Source: The Advertiser.

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

‘Her inaction was the problem’: Mikakos holds the truth from millions, and pays the price for it

An opinion piece by The Age states that whether Mikakos knew about private security is "beside the point."

US Secretary of State and Greece’s Prime Minister reaffirm strong ties

United States Secretary of State Antony Blinken arrived in Athens, Greece and met with Greece's Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

Greek Community of Melbourne sends letter to ABC over recent Parthenon Marbles coverage

Greek Community of Melbourne sent a letter to ABC Channel to express their concern regarding recent coverage of the Parthenon Marbles