Greek-Filipina executive breaks cultural barriers in the UK maritime industry

·

An executive of mixed Greek and Filipino heritage, Kate Bollanou is every bit the epitome of an empowered woman.

“When I started as a shipbroker in London, I felt I didn’t belong. At the time, I was the youngest and only woman on the team. The only expatriate. There were daily interactions that made me feel excluded,” Bollanou said in an interview with The Manila Times.

In this interview, she opens up about the way she transformed the “hurtful and traumatic” experience into positive advocacy and established the Kate Bollanou Coaching company, an intercultural communication consultancy that helps maritime companies develop their teams’ communications skills for more effective collaboration and increased productivity.

“I see it as my duty to help others navigate similar situations that I’ve been in,” Bollanou explained.

“Being biracial gives me a natural ability to see a situation from two different angles. I understand how other people can perceive reality differently, and this perception is often affected by each person’s cultural background.

“In 2017, after six years of working as a shipbroker, I decided to start my business and help women in maritime succeed in their careers. After working with several women and companies, I realized that culture also plays a role in how people experience their work environment,” she said.

Read the full interview here

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

Foreign Ministers of Greece and Russia meet to discuss restoring historic ties

Greek Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias, discussed relations between Greece and Russia in a meeting with his Russian counterpart on Monday.

Ali Zacharias clings to moving car to save dog from thieves

Ali Zacharias clung to a car hood in order to save her beloved French bulldog from thieves, getting the the attention of the LAPD.

Adelaide restaurateur Themis Chryssidis launches new radio show

Callum Hann and Themis Chryssidis, the duo behind top city venues including Eleven and Olive will launch a new weekly radio show on FIVEaa.