Fiona Martin MP shares thoughts on why Greek Independence Day is important to her

·

Federal Member for Reid, Fiona Martin MP, has always been incredibly proud of her Greek heritage and strives to find out more about it every day.

That’s why for Greek Independence Day this year, we asked Dr Martin to share with The Greek Herald her thoughts on the national day and on her Greek ethnicity more broadly.

1. What does March 25 mean to you?

March 25 is a day where we thank those that came before us. It’s about honouring our ancestors for the great sacrifices made to gain independence for Greece. 

2. What do you remember as a child growing up?

I never had the chance to meet my late pappou (Mark Barbouttis). He passed away before I was born in a tragic car accident. He emigrated to Australia in 1926 and I’ve heard from family members who remember him that he was kind and smart. He was also described as a leader, a family man with a community spirit. He was a small business owner (he owned a milk bar), he became an Alderman and trained in the Australian Air Force near Newcastle. 

My late yiayia (Mersina) was widowed for half of her life. Yiayia came from a large family and her childhood was on Kastellorizo, Greece. The only daughter of the Harbour Master. 

She experienced war on Kastellorizo and consequently fled to Australia. She married my pappou in Australia and had four children but tragically lost her husband in a car accident and at the same time miscarried her fifth child. She suffered greatly. Compounding trauma lead to PTSD, which was never really treated and later she developed psychosis. Observing my yiayia suffer when I was a child inspired me to learn about mental illness and go on to become a psychologist. 

My Greek identity was strongly influenced by my yiayia’s brother, my great uncle Gus (Manettas). Uncle Gus helped raise my dad and his sisters. He lived very close by and was very protective of his family and proud of his Greek heritage. 

When I was 12 years old and in Year 6, I travelled to Greece with my Uncle Gus and Auntie Norma and my cousin Mersina. I think it was that holiday where I learned first-hand about Greece’s history and Kastellorizo, and I developed a deeper understanding and affection for my Greek heritage. 

3. Why do we need to keep honouring and celebrating national days?

Celebrating national days like Greek Independence Day helps us understand our shared history and the importance of embracing culture and multiculturalism. 

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

Two Greek Australians among finalists for South Australia’s science and innovation awards 

Professor Maria Makrides from SAHMRI and artist Niki Sperou from the CMBD are among the 2022 SA Science Excellence and Innovation finalists.

Archbishop Makarios releases Anzac Day message

His Eminence Archbishop Makarios has released a message for Anzac Day, discussing the friendship forged between Greece and Australia. See full message below: Today,...

Addison Demetriou stood down by Newtown Jets amid domestic violence accusations

Addison Demetriou has been stood down by the Newtown Jets amid serious domestic violence allegations, including choking charges.