Fiona Martin MP shares thoughts on why Greek Independence Day is important to her

·

Federal Member for Reid, Fiona Martin MP, has always been incredibly proud of her Greek heritage and strives to find out more about it every day.

That’s why for Greek Independence Day this year, we asked Dr Martin to share with The Greek Herald her thoughts on the national day and on her Greek ethnicity more broadly.

1. What does March 25 mean to you?

March 25 is a day where we thank those that came before us. It’s about honouring our ancestors for the great sacrifices made to gain independence for Greece. 

2. What do you remember as a child growing up?

I never had the chance to meet my late pappou (Mark Barbouttis). He passed away before I was born in a tragic car accident. He emigrated to Australia in 1926 and I’ve heard from family members who remember him that he was kind and smart. He was also described as a leader, a family man with a community spirit. He was a small business owner (he owned a milk bar), he became an Alderman and trained in the Australian Air Force near Newcastle. 

My late yiayia (Mersina) was widowed for half of her life. Yiayia came from a large family and her childhood was on Kastellorizo, Greece. The only daughter of the Harbour Master. 

She experienced war on Kastellorizo and consequently fled to Australia. She married my pappou in Australia and had four children but tragically lost her husband in a car accident and at the same time miscarried her fifth child. She suffered greatly. Compounding trauma lead to PTSD, which was never really treated and later she developed psychosis. Observing my yiayia suffer when I was a child inspired me to learn about mental illness and go on to become a psychologist. 

My Greek identity was strongly influenced by my yiayia’s brother, my great uncle Gus (Manettas). Uncle Gus helped raise my dad and his sisters. He lived very close by and was very protective of his family and proud of his Greek heritage. 

When I was 12 years old and in Year 6, I travelled to Greece with my Uncle Gus and Auntie Norma and my cousin Mersina. I think it was that holiday where I learned first-hand about Greece’s history and Kastellorizo, and I developed a deeper understanding and affection for my Greek heritage. 

3. Why do we need to keep honouring and celebrating national days?

Celebrating national days like Greek Independence Day helps us understand our shared history and the importance of embracing culture and multiculturalism. 

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greek parliamentarians promise action, but Australia’s diaspora needs more than words

By Mary Sinanidis. Four representatives of the Special Permanent Committee on Greeks Abroad (consisting of 31 MPs) said they came “to listen” to the Australian...

Finalists announced for the 1st Greek Youth Creative Arts Competition 2024

The Greek Festival of Sydney has exclusively announced to The Greek Herald the finalists of its ‘1st Greek Youth Creative Arts Competition.’ The theme of the inaugural competition...

Castellorizian Association of NSW hosts Cazzie Kids Easter event

On Monday, April 15, the Castellorizian Association of NSW welcomed kids and families for their Cazzie Kids Easter event. Held at The Castellorizian, a community centre...

National Second Tier club representatives hold meetings to plan for next year’s launch

Soccer clubs across the nation are gearing up for a significant milestone in Australian football history, the launch of the National Second Tier (NST)...

Jon Adgemis’ Public Hospitality Group lists first pub for sale amid mounting debt

The owner of Public Hospitality Group (PHG) Jon Adgemis has listed his first pub on the market, following the collapse of his debt deal...

You May Also Like

Enter Alexander: New exhibition about the battle of Chaeronea opens in Athens

A new exhibition titled "Chaeronea, 2 August 338 BC: A day that changed the world" has opened at the Museum of Cycladic Art (MCA)...

Santina Vagerakas Costanzo: Meet the Year 12 student who topped Aboriginal Studies in NSW

When the Higher School Certificate (HSC) results were released for Year 12 students across New South Wales on Thursday, December 15, Santina Vagerakas Costanzo...

Little-known ANZAC history on Imbros island showcased at Sydney exhibition

As people walked into the Prince Henry Centre at Sydney's Little Bay on Sunday, April 7, they were instantly drawn to 21 boards expertly...