“Finding the Boxer Within”: Vickie Simos on fighting mental health issues with Martial Arts

·

Born to Greek migrant parents in 1974 in South Australia’s Riverland, Vickie Simos always found it challenging as a child and adolescent to fit in. 

Years later, after she punched self-doubt and self-deprecation on the face, she made a comeback and with her memoir ‘The Boxer Within,” aims to inspire others find their passion and purpose.

“I moved to Adelaide at 19 and at around 21 I realised I had a problem – mental health issue. I felt something wasn’t right inside. I went to my local Greek GP who told me there was nothing wrong with me. 

“He made me feel stupid and embarrassed, so I never thought about it again, until that is the problems started to arise again. I was carrying around a lot of anger and didn’t know why,” says the psychotherapist, counsellor and personal trainer. 

Simos started training in Martial Arts (MA) when she was 25 in a very “unorthodox way” and although she tried different types of styles and systems, it was boxing that won her over. 

“Boxing had the greatest effect on me. It brought my emotions to the surface; it would make you or break you,” she says.

It was almost at the same time that she also started seeking therapy options. 

“I had all these emotions, but didn’t know what to do with them. With MA and therapy combined, by competing overseas and locally and having people believe in me, I started to believe in myself. With that belief came confidence and this is how I unleashed ‘the boxer within’.”

Referring to role her Greek upbringing played in her life journey, Simos explains that it pushed her to excel.  

“I did not want to struggle as much as my family did. They worked hard picking grapes and cutting apricots, something my siblings and I also did. It was a very hard job and not for everyone. 

So, watching and being a part of that, pushed me to want more, be more, to create opportunities, even if this meant working multiple jobs,” Vickie says, explaining why she now wants to help others. 

“If some people didn’t give me a chance, I wouldn’t be where I am today. Helping others find the best version of themselves is what gives me the greatest joy.” 

For the last decade Vickie has been involved in working with children, with various programs including Melbourne Kids Developmental Services, and the Active After School communities’ program, as well as mentoring and volunteering at various schools and organisations.

Commenting on the surge in families seeking guidance for their parenting amid ongoing mental health concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic in children and adolescents, Simos has a simple advice.

“Listen to your children, don’t label what is going on for your child, don’t judge your child, and do everything you can to help them,” she concludes.

*Vickie Simos is also the owner of ‘Thelo’ Active Therapy which uses Martial Arts as an alternative or combination to mainstream therapy. To find out more visit www.theloactivetherapy.com . You can purchase Vickie’s “Finding the Boxer Within” book, on Amazon, Book Depository or Booktopia.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

The Greek Herald’s Digital Editor among Quill Awards finalists for multicultural media

The Greek Herald's Digital Editor, Andriana Simos, has been named a finalist in the 28th Quill Awards for Excellence in Victorian Journalism.

Erdogan twists realities in letter to EU officials ahead of crucial summit

Turkey's President Erdogan has written a letter to EU officials informing them about Turkey’s stance on the Eastern Mediterranean.

Sydney Olympic and APIA Leichardt set to battle for ‘Best of the Inner West’ title

The Festival of Football is returning, with Sydney Olympic FC and APIA Leichhardt FC competing to be crowned the 'Best in the Inner-West'.