‘Fear doesn’t bring out the best in anyone’: Mary Coustas on cancel culture

·

Mary Coustas, who played the popular character Effie in Acropolis Now and Wogs Out of Work, has opened up to The Daily Telegraph ahead of extra performances of her latest stage show, This Is Personal.

This Is Personal is Coustas’ first show where she plays herself. She described the show as her “step[ping] away from the puppet and expos[ing] the puppeteer,” but said she was “terrified by the idea of not having those other things to hide behind.”

“Effie has been my most public character and I have been happily putting Effie forward for all of these years because she has bought me a lot of privileges – I get to say whatever I want, unfiltered, I get to be really theatrical…” Coustas told The Daily Telegraph.

Mary Coustas with her daughter Jamie. Picture: Julian Andrews / The Daily Telegraph.

The “privilege” of saying “whatever [she] wants” is something Coustas worries about today, namely, she said she worries about the “shrinking of rights and people becoming so afraid to say what they really think.”

“I think there is fear involved in being cancelled and I don’t think fear brings the best out in anyone,” she said.

“We need to be able to make mistakes as human beings, we need to be able to evolve as human beings and understand that it is not okay to do certain things that evoke hate or that make people feel diminished or powerless but at the same time, we still need to have playfulness around things and I think humour is the greatest carbonator of all things heavy.”

You can find more information on Mary’s upcoming tour, starting on May 4 in Adelaide, here: https://maryandeffie.com/tour/

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Olympiacos FC make history as champions of Europa Conference League

Olympiacos FC have made history as the first Greek club to win the Europa Conference League. Read more here.

Greek community raises $85,000 for St Elesa Food Initiative in Kogarah

More than $85,000 was raised for the St Elesa Food Initiative during a Fundraising Dinner which took place on Friday, May 10.

The HACCI National Federation introduces The Ellinikon to Australia

The HACCI National Federation hosted a series of events in Australia, presenting The Ellinikon, Europe's largest urban renewal project.

Ambassador of Greece meets with Greek Australian Parliamentary Friends group

The Ambassador of Greece in Australia, Stavros Venizelos, today met with Members of the Greek Australian Parliamentary Friendship group.

Heliades Women’s Network gather in Melbourne for double celebration

The Hellenic Women’s Network ‘Heliades’ gathered at YASSAS The Greek Way at Southbank, Victoria on Sunday, May 26.

You May Also Like

Maria Sakkari storms into quarterfinals of Japan Open

No.4 Seed Maria Sakkari has reached the Toray Pan Pacific Open quarterfinals in Japan after defeating Japan's Misaki Doi in straight sets

Nick Andriotakis on the legacy of OXI Day and its influence on post war migration to Australia

Nick Andriotakis talks to The Greek Herald about the legacy of OXI Day and its influence on post war migration to Australia.

Turkey blames Greek Commander for searching cargo ship suspected of carrying weapons

Turkey has prevented German forces from carrying out a full search of a Turkish cargo ship that they suspected of taking weapons to Libya