‘Fear doesn’t bring out the best in anyone’: Mary Coustas on cancel culture

·

Mary Coustas, who played the popular character Effie in Acropolis Now and Wogs Out of Work, has opened up to The Daily Telegraph ahead of extra performances of her latest stage show, This Is Personal.

This Is Personal is Coustas’ first show where she plays herself. She described the show as her “step[ping] away from the puppet and expos[ing] the puppeteer,” but said she was “terrified by the idea of not having those other things to hide behind.”

“Effie has been my most public character and I have been happily putting Effie forward for all of these years because she has bought me a lot of privileges – I get to say whatever I want, unfiltered, I get to be really theatrical…” Coustas told The Daily Telegraph.

Mary Coustas with her daughter Jamie. Picture: Julian Andrews / The Daily Telegraph.

The “privilege” of saying “whatever [she] wants” is something Coustas worries about today, namely, she said she worries about the “shrinking of rights and people becoming so afraid to say what they really think.”

“I think there is fear involved in being cancelled and I don’t think fear brings the best out in anyone,” she said.

“We need to be able to make mistakes as human beings, we need to be able to evolve as human beings and understand that it is not okay to do certain things that evoke hate or that make people feel diminished or powerless but at the same time, we still need to have playfulness around things and I think humour is the greatest carbonator of all things heavy.”

You can find more information on Mary’s upcoming tour, starting on May 4 in Adelaide, here: https://maryandeffie.com/tour/

Source: The Daily Telegraph

DaneBank Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Cyprus Community of NSW begin Expression of Interest process for sale of Stanmore properties

Cyprus Community of NSW have begun the Expression of Interest process for the sale of properties it owns behind The Cyprus Club at Stanmore.

NSW Governor Margaret Beazley presented with Order of the Philochrist

NSW Governor Margaret Beazley was presented with the Order of the Philochrist by Archbishop Makarios of Australia on Sunday, May 5.

Council on the Ageing Victoria’s CEO Chris Potaris steps down

Council on the Ageing (COTA) Victoria and Seniors Rights Victoria CEO, Chris Potaris, has stepped down from the role. Read more here.

Barton Park a hit as St George Saints’ resilience sees past Sydney Olympic

St George Saints defeated former NSL rivals Sydney Olympic 2-1 at the refurbished Barton Park facility on a Saturday evening. 

Ex-West Tigers Chairman Lee Hagipantelis pulls $1 million backing from club

Former Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis has terminated his $1 million Brydens Lawyers sponsorship of the NRL club.

You May Also Like

Grand opening of new ‘home’ for South Australia’s Pontian community hailed a success

There was plenty of food, dancing and festivities as the Pontian Brotherhood of South Australia officially opened its new clubroom.

Greek Community of Melbourne celebrates VCE graduates in heart-warming ceremony 

The Greek Community of Melbourne brought together students, families, educators to honour the VCE class of 2023.

Kytherians in Australia to be interviewed for new documentary

A new documentary will feature stories of people who migrated from Kythera to Australia in the 20th and early 21st century.