Dr Alexander Kalloniatis receives prestigious Australian Defence Minister’s Award

·

Defence operations analyst, Dr Alexander Kalloniatis, has been awarded the 2021 Defence Minister’s Award for Achievement in Science and Technology.

According to the Department of Defence, Dr Kalloniatis has been conducting research and development in various ADF headquarters over the past 17 years, which has led to improved ADF command and control structures (C2) and created an agile ‘5th generation headquarters’ environment. 

C2 is the capability by which information is passed and decision-making is delegated through an organisation to achieve missions. In the military context, that means the decision-making processes from the joint top-level headquarters to the war-fighters on the front line.

Dr Kalloniatis’ work at Defence Science and Technology Group (DSTG) has led to new understanding about how to improve C2 agility, a critical enabler for modern defence operations.

“I have worked very hard as a defence scientist,” Dr Kalloniatis said after news of his award was announced.

“But from the day I walked in here a lot of people, leaders past and present, have put faith in me and have given me the opportunity to develop and build a profile in this area.

Chief Defence Scientist, Professor Tanya Monro presents Dr Alex Kalloniatis, right, with the 2021 Defence Minister’s Award for Achievement in Science in Canberra, ACT. Photo: Ms Nicole Mankowski.

“I feel that my Minister’s Award also reflects on those colleagues and the patience they have put into developing DSTG’s operations analysis capability.”

Canberra’s local Greek community are also proud of Dr Kalloniatis’ achievements. In his spare time, he is lead chanter at St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Kingston.

In a post on Facebook, the Church congratulated Dr Kalloniatis for his distinction and said: “we feel very proud for his achievement and for having him close to us and for making us rejoice with his melodic voice in our services.”

Source: Department of Defence.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Easter on the Holy Mountain: A pilgrimage to Mount Athos

Mount Athos, a place of profound significance, beckons travellers from all corners of the world. It is known as the “Holy Mountain".

The Greeks of Tashkent: Photo exhibition and talk by Costas Politis in Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney will proudly host two very important events for "The Greeks of Tashkent" as part of its program for 2024. The...

Orthodox Easter: A time filled with love and spirituality for residents of Ibis Care

With Orthodox Easter approaching, the Ibis Care community commemorate this significant time in the Orthodox religious calendar.

The Cosmos in Cosmopolitanism: Nikos Papastergiadis launches new book in Melbourne

Before a packed house comprising of leading scholars at the Greek Center in Melbourne, Nikos Papastergiadis launched his most recent book.

Unite for a cause at the 6th Annual Breakfast for Brain Cancer in Sydney

During Brain Cancer Action Month, friends and supporters of the White Pearl Foundation are uniting once again on Friday, May 24.

You May Also Like

Turkey extends illegal NAVTEX for gas exploration near Kastellorizo

Turkey has announced a four-day extension of its illegal NAVTEX for gas exploration inside Greece’s continental shelf, according to ANA-MPA.

Greece’s first gay minister hopes appointment will help erode homophobia

Greece’s first openly gay minister hopes his appointment to the conservative government will make it easier for LGBT+ people to tackle discrimination.

Kokkinakis and Kyrgios knocked out of Australian Open yet secure title as ‘best tournament bromance’

Greek Australians Thanasi Kokkinakis and Nick Kyrgios lost to Wesley Koolhof and Łukasz this afternoon, yet secured their title as this year's tournaments 'greatest bromance'.