Dimitrios Krallidis named as finalist in Australia’s Ethnic Business Awards

·

Dimitrios Jim Krallidis’ family-run business, DSK Kitchens and Furniture, has been named as a finalist in this year’s Ethnic Business Awards. These awards recognise the outstanding accomplishments of migrant and Indigenous entrepreneurs.

Mr Krallidis tells The Greek Herald that he’s ‘very happy’ to be an award finalist, as it is a recognition of all his achievements ever since he arrived in Australia from the Greek island of Mytilini in 1969.

“When I arrived in Australia with my parents at 14 years of age, I was already in the trade because I worked in Greece as a furniture maker from the age of nine,” Mr Krallidis says.

“I didn’t know any English though, but I was hard working. Instead of going to clubs and playing poker, I was concentrating on cabinet making. I just wanted to do better.”

The 67-year-old business man quickly put his experience to good use and took a job at a Jewish-owned cabinet making business, where he went from foreman to general foreman to production manager within 10 years.

Later, Mr Krallidis moved into insulation work as a subcontractor for three years, followed by a successful business partnership with some friends. In 1992, he decided to start his own business with his wife and two sons, called DSK Kitchens and Furniture.

“Everything we do is custom made with individual designs. Most of our work incorporates kitchens, laundries, wardrobes and study rooms,” Mr Krallidis says proudly.

“We also have a factory with a fully computerised and operational system, as well as one of the most upgraded showrooms in Sydney.”

With such a successful building career under his belt, it’s no surprise then that Mr Krallidis has no plans to slow down any time soon.

“I’m a very proud Greek but I’m also a very proud Australian. I live and work here and I’m very happy to have achieved what I have together with my family. And I still have good strength and power to continue for years to come,” Mr Krallidis says.

The 32nd Ethnic Business Awards will be available to view on Facebook Live, SBS, NITV or Aurora. Date is To Be Confirmed.

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Konstantina Sideris: Sacred impressions through art

Amidst the reverence and reflection of Greek Orthodox Easter, we highlight the work of artist Konstantina Sideris.

Chris Lucas to open new restaurant in Canberra

Chris Lucas, the restaurateur behind Chin Chin in Sydney and Melbourne, is about to open a new restaurant named Carlotta in Canberra.

Greek Orthodox Easter between three cultures

It's Easter, the most important religious event for Greek Orthodox people all over the world. Greek families come together.

‘A time of reflection and peace’: Australian Prime Minister celebrates Orthodox Easter

Australian Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese, has issued a message to Greek communities across the country to celebrate Orthodox Easter today.

Peter Dutton MP sends message of hope for Orthodox Easter

Australia’s Leader of the Opposition, Peter Dutton MP, has issued a message to mark Orthodox Easter today. Read the message here.

You May Also Like

‘The 123 of Greek Easter’: Count along with Panagiota Andreadakis’ new bilingual kids book

Panagiota Andreadakis has not only released her third bilingual children’s book The 123 of Greek Easter, but also an activity book.

The ‘Soul of Greece’ will come to QPAC this May

The Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC) will play host to a full symphony orchestra and one of Greece’s leading vocalists, Ifigeneia Ioannou, for the...

Greece’s Astypalea island turns green with new fleet of electric cars

Greece’s Astypalea island has said farewell to petrol and diesel vehicles and replaced them with electric cars.