Daniel Theophanou and his mum create the ultimate Australia Day dress

·

Daniel Theophanou had a dream for Australia Day this year – to upcycle an Australian flag dress he had received as a gift from a friend and include a collar and hat in the colours of the Aboriginal flag.

Luckily Daniel, who is the son of a Cypriot migrant, had a few tricks up his sleeve to make that dream possible. All he had to do was tap into his creative side, which comes out whenever he becomes well-known drag queen Vin Tage.

As Vin Tage, Dan has travelled the world posing in the Australian flag dress. Photo supplied.

“I’ve been doing drag for probably about three years. I moved to Melbourne about ten years ago and just absolutely adored drag and got involved in it from there,” Daniel, who also identifies as gay, tells The Greek Herald.

“I love that drama, that creativity and that’s why I went down that alley.”

Since then, coronavirus struck and Daniel moved back down to Wollongong in New South Wales to live with his parents. He straight away started collaborating with his mum, who is a milliner, on the Australia Day dress. The main section of the dress was created for an old Miss Australia campaign.

Daniel working on the new ‘inclusive’ Australian flag dress. Photo supplied.

“It was sitting in a cupboard in a magazine place and they were like ‘let’s get rid of this.’ And my friend was like, ‘I know the perfect person.’ So that’s how I ended up with it,” Daniel explains.

But Daniel says he still wanted to make the dress more inclusive this year. He and his mum decided to use about 90 separate squares of red, yellow and black fabric, representing the Aboriginal flag, to make a collar and hat.

“I absolutely love it. It’s heavy and hot but… I wanted to do the dress justice and make sure it all worked cohesively and portrayed inclusiveness,” he concludes.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

Costas Giannakodimos gives lecture in Sydney on media portrayals of the Greek Revolution

Consulate General of Greece in Sydney and Ahepa NSW Inc hold event about the Press in Greek revolution

Greece to buy French warships in multibillion-euro defence deal

France and Greece on Tuesday announced a defense deal worth around 3 billion euros, including Athens’ decision to buy three French warships.

Global investigation claims Cyprus helped protect Russian wealth

A global investigation shows Russian influence in Cyprus has helped billionaires structure their wealth prior to the invasion of Ukraine.