Daniel Theophanou and his mum create the ultimate Australia Day dress

·

Daniel Theophanou had a dream for Australia Day this year – to upcycle an Australian flag dress he had received as a gift from a friend and include a collar and hat in the colours of the Aboriginal flag.

Luckily Daniel, who is the son of a Cypriot migrant, had a few tricks up his sleeve to make that dream possible. All he had to do was tap into his creative side, which comes out whenever he becomes well-known drag queen Vin Tage.

As Vin Tage, Dan has travelled the world posing in the Australian flag dress. Photo supplied.

“I’ve been doing drag for probably about three years. I moved to Melbourne about ten years ago and just absolutely adored drag and got involved in it from there,” Daniel, who also identifies as gay, tells The Greek Herald.

“I love that drama, that creativity and that’s why I went down that alley.”

Since then, coronavirus struck and Daniel moved back down to Wollongong in New South Wales to live with his parents. He straight away started collaborating with his mum, who is a milliner, on the Australia Day dress. The main section of the dress was created for an old Miss Australia campaign.

Daniel working on the new ‘inclusive’ Australian flag dress. Photo supplied.

“It was sitting in a cupboard in a magazine place and they were like ‘let’s get rid of this.’ And my friend was like, ‘I know the perfect person.’ So that’s how I ended up with it,” Daniel explains.

But Daniel says he still wanted to make the dress more inclusive this year. He and his mum decided to use about 90 separate squares of red, yellow and black fabric, representing the Aboriginal flag, to make a collar and hat.

“I absolutely love it. It’s heavy and hot but… I wanted to do the dress justice and make sure it all worked cohesively and portrayed inclusiveness,” he concludes.

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Axion Esti’ concert to be celebrated in three Australian cities

Composer Mikis Theodorakis' stirring musical oratorio "Axion Esti" to lyrics by Nobel Prize-winning poet Odysseus Elytis set for Australia.

Greek Orthodox Community of SA youth enjoy Easter craft workshop

The Greek Orthodox Community of SA (GOCSA) youth took part in an Orthodox Easter Workshop on Sunday, April 21 at Olympic Hall.

Voting, Citizenship, Identity: Interview with Consul General of Greece in Adelaide, George Psiachas

In his exclusive interview with The Greek Herald, Consul General of Greece in Adelaide, George Psiachas unpacks core responsibilities.

Sydney’s Greek, Armenian and Assyrian communities March for Justice

The Armenian, Assyrian and Hellenic communities joined voices to demand Federal parliamentary recognition of their ancestors' genocides.

The Block winners Steph and Gian sell Bexley home for almost $2 million

Last year’s winners of The Block, Steph and Gian Ottavio, have sold their renovated home in Sydney's Bexley for $1,825,000.

You May Also Like

Greece to legalise papers for migrants to counter labour shortage

Thousands of migrants are set to get their papers legalised in Greece as part of measures to alleviate an acute labor shortage.

Facilities of All Saints Greek Parish in Belmore set to become vaccination hub, Minister confirms

Tony Burke MP confirmed there are plans to turn the hall of All Saints Greek Orthodox Parish in Belmore into a pop-up vaccination hub.

Greece’s state injection of 120 million euros to prop up Aegean Airlines

Greece will support Aegean Airlines with 120 million euros to help the iconic company come through the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.