Christos Panagiotopoulos turns Greek Revolution heroes into model miniatures

·

Whether it’s General Theodoros Kolokotronis, Laskarina Bouboulina, Konstantinos Kanaris or any other Greek Revolution hero and heroine, Christos Panagiotopoulos turns them into miniature models crafted with love and devotion.

“It is a big passion, a big love,” Christos tells The Greek Herald from his lab in Athens, Greece.

He remembers clearly the day he saw painted miniatures for the first time in a shop when he was 20 years old.

“I fell in love. It was love at first sight,” he recalls.

For the next 30 years, Christos would be working on them himself.

“It started as a hobby but it evolved into an art and a proper job. I had some talent and with years of work I got better and better,” he says.

Christos’ creations and miniature models were also recently recognised by a Grand Master Award.

He first started creating Byzantine History figures, transforming already existing miniatures of soldiers from the west or east to Byzantium ones. After that, he started creating miniatures from scratch and then he got into sculpture.

“I am self-taught, I didn’t go to a school. I got better through working and studying,” he says.

“Since I am Greek, the love for Greek history was there from the beginning. I loved the Greek Revolution of 1821 since I was a kid.”

One of the first original models he ever did was a Greek Revolution soldier.

“In the first few years, I started taking part in competitions. In the third year, I entered an international competition abroad. I won an award. Competitions light a fire in you to always try and be better to stand out,” he says.

Christos Panagiotopoulos grand master award.

Back then, there was no internet for Christos to search information about his creations. He used to go to museums, to books and asked around.

“Now you can find easily information, images and paintings. It’s not only about finding the costume, is about combining the colours, creating the environment that you will put the miniature in. It is an art with many different aspects,” he explains.

Miniatures of the heroes of the Greek Revolution demand even more time to be made because of their very special costumes. A miniature such as Kolokotronis could take up to 30 days to be created.

“Sculping a fustanella takes a lot of time. Every part of the costume is created separately. It also has to do with the soldiers’ movement,” Christos says.

First, Christos shapes the fustanella and then he crafts each strip one by one.

“The sculpture is made from the inside to the outside,” he says. “First you shape the body, then the movement of it, then the bones, the muscles and then you add the clothes.”

When it comes to selling, there are two options – one of making an original miniature that is going to be sold to a collector, or the procedure of creating a model that is going to be copied and recreated before being sold for people to buy it and paint it themselves.

Christos says that when it comes to miniaturists’ communities, the situation in Greece is similar to other countries.

“Our participation in exhibitions outside Greece and communicating with other artists abroad helped us evolve as artists,” he adds.

Asked about the hours he works on his miniatures every day, he laughs, before concluding: “I work from morning till night.”

You can reach out to Christos here: historiaminiatures47@gmail.com

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Pontians to hold Greek Genocide commemoration event in Sydney

On Sunday May 19, the Pontian Community of Sydney will host a Remembrance Day and Commemoration of the Greek Genocide.

SEKA Victoria screen the documentary ‘Journey into Cyprus – East to West’

SEKA Victoria presented the screening of the documentary film, Journey into Cyprus - East to West, on Sunday, April 28.

Queen Victoria Market: Your one-stop shop for produce this Orthodox Easter

Orthodox Easter is almost here and Queen Victoria Market is brimming with all the produce, goodies and gifts you need to celebrate on Sunday.

Greek Australian footballer Nik Constantinou signs with Denver Broncos

Former Texas A&M Aggies football punter, Nik Constantinou has signed on to play as an Undrafted Free Agent (UDFA) with NFL's Denver Broncos.

South Melbourne Powerchair FC crowned Victorian Premier League champions

South Melbourne Powerchair FC won the Victorian Premier League Championships on Sunday, defeating Westvale Olympic FC 3-2 after penalties.

You May Also Like

‘We are protecting our borders’: Mitsotakis meets EU Parliament VP to discuss Afghanistan

Kyriakos Mitsotakis and Roberta Metsola met to discuss the need for the protection of Greek borders in light of the Afghanistan situation.

Three more LGA’s enter lockdown as NSW records 345 new local COVID-19 cases

Bayside, Burwood and Strathfield LGA's in NSW will be subjected to extra COVID-19 lockdown restrictions from 5pm today.

Greek Orthodox Community of St George in Brisbane’s exposure sites

The Greek Orthodox Community of St George in South Brisbane has been listed as a COVID-19 exposure site. A mother who works as an...