The Begona, two immigration stories and a marriage that has lasted more than fifty years

·

It was during the penultimate voyage of the Spanish ship Begona, in May 1957, when 17-year-old Voula Dasiakli left her family in Tripoli, a city in in the central Peloponnese, in Greece and embarked on a journey to Australia, following her older sister who had immigrated to Sydney a year earlier.

Three years later, in March 1960, on another side of Peloponnese, in Pylos, not far from Tripoli, 25-year-old Apostolis Rentoulis would also leave his family to immigrate to Adelaide in search for a better future. His brother had already settled in Australia.

Two different people, with different life stories, whose fates and immigration journeys were meant to intertwine thousands of miles away from their home country.   

Today, married for 56 years, Voula and Apostolis Rentoulis – or Valerie and Paul as they are known among their Australian friends – open their hearts and retell their life story.

Voula and Apostolis Rentoulis have been married for 56 years. Photo supplied.

Voula Rentoulis: “I like life in Australia despite the difficulties”  

I ask Mrs Rentoulis to remember and describe her journey. She pauses. Thinks. Smiles.  

From the way she narrates the events, I understand that she never forgot. It is forever engraved in her memory.   

“We lived a good life in Tripoli. We went to school; my dad was a judicial secretary but we immigrated to do something better in life. My sister was already in Australia and I wanted to follow her.   

“I left Piraeus on May 21, 1957 on board Begona and arrived in Melbourne almost a month later. Then I took the train to Sydney, ” Voula Rentoulis, 80, tells The Greek Herald explaining that the trip was an enjoyable experience for her, unlike many of the other girls who were on board the Begona.

“I became friends with three girls one of whom also had three children. I remember spending a lot of time on deck because we were not feeling sick up there. Unfortunately, many of the girls I travelled with were not happy, because they were coming to marry grooms whom they had only met through photos.   

Voula became friends with many of the other girls on board the Spanish ship Begona. Photo supplied.

“Unfortunately, many of them got disappointed when they arrived in Melbourne.”

Despite her limited knowledge of the language upon her arrival she soon started working at her brother in law’s Milk Bar in Sydney. She was focused to learn and succeed.   

“I took some English lessons in Greece and they helped. The first year was difficult as I was missing my family but the fact that I had my sister and some relatives in Sydney also helped.   

“I enjoyed life in Australia from the very beginning despite the difficulties. A girl I used to work with happened to be married to Apostolis’ cousin. She introduced me to Apostoli and after I met him, my life in Australia got even better,” Mrs Rentoulis says.   

“I would have returned to Greece if I hadn’t met Voula”  

One and a half years after arriving in Adelaide, Apostolis Rentoulis was thinking of returning to Greece.  

“It was impossible for me to find a job in Adelaide. In Greece, I used to work in big international hotels but there were none in South Australia back then. I migrated to Australia for a better future,” Mr Rentoulis explains.

“I knew from my dad who had migrated to the USA and worked in California and Chicago, that the majority of people overseas had progressed, but it wasn’t working for me in Australia.”

Apostolis says he migrated to Australia for a better future. Photo supplied.

Apostolis’ cousin, who lived in Sydney, persuaded him to join him and test his luck. It was in Sydney that he was introduced to Voula whom he got married to within six months.  

In 1964, they decided to return to Adelaide, where they created their family and still live today. Mr Rentoulis, a fan of soccer, tells me that he has been reading The Greek Herald ever since!  

“We started our married life with just 80 pounds. We had bed sheets on the windows instead of curtains. In 1965 our first child came and the demands of the household increased. Then the second child. We needed beds, a refrigerator.  

“But we were happy,” Mr Rentoulis says.  

I ask them to give me their advice for the next generation of Greek Australians. They speak with pride about their children, grandchildren and their respective partners who speak or learn Greek and keep the language and tradition alive.   

For the friends, the ‘koumbarous’ and acquaintances they have created over the years in the new home country.  

Mrs. Voula asks me if I would like a coffee. She also offers me ‘diples’ and home-made ‘koulourakia’. It feels like home.   

I am sitting in the same living room where Voula and Apostolis built their dreams. Together. This is probably the advice.   

The way all our first migrants fought the odds and made new beginnings.    Perseverance, patience, understanding and love.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Fresco of Helen of Troy uncovered at Pompeii

Nearly 2,000 years since it was buried by volcanic rubble, the lost city of Pompeii is yielding even more impressive discoveries. According to msn.com, archeologists...

New casual Greek restaurant brings meze and cocktails to Adelaide’s CBD

Andrew Papadakis, the visionary who founded and successfully sold Meze Mazi, returns to the vibrant Adelaide restaurant scene with his newest venture, Dino’s. According to...

Two Greek women included in ’30 Under 30′ Forbes list

In this year's European Forbes "30 Under 30" list, two exceptional Greek women have managed to stand out for their successful paths in two...

2,300-year-old tomb unearthed in Greece

A tomb in the ancient Macedonian city of Aegae in modern Vergina, Greece, has been unearthed according to an All That’s Interesting report. The tomb is believed...

Yorgos Lanthimos’ new movie ‘Kinds of Kindness’ included in Cannes lineup

New films from Yorgos Lanthimos, Andrea Arnold and Francis Ford Coppola, as well as a portrait of 1980s Donald Trump, will compete for the...

You May Also Like

Greece, Israel and Cyprus affirm alliance based on shared values

The foreign ministers of Cyprus, Nikos Christodoulides, Greece, Nikos Dendias, and Israel, Yair Lapid, have affirmed during a meeting in Jerusalem their countries’ close...

Zoi Tsardoulias, Greek organisations among those leading Marrickville Town Hall multicultural project

The 100th birthday of Marrickville Town Hall has been celebrated today with the announcement of some exciting news. The Inner West Council has confirmed they...

King returns to the ring: George Kambosos Jr to fight Teofimo Lopez in mega $7.6 million deal

One of Australia's biggest lightweight boxers George "Ferocious" Kambosos Jr will finally be returning to the ring to fight Teofimo Lopez in massive $7.6...