Alexander Kakias gets heart transplant for rare condition which claimed his brother’s life

·

At just 18 months of age, Alexander Kakias’ heart had given up and he relied on a Berlin Heart to keep him alive. This machine is a contraption that sits outside the body to pump blood when the heart can no longer do it.

Alex needed this machine as he suffered from Barth Syndrome, a rare condition characterised by an enlarged and weakened heart called dilated cardiomyopathy.

His brother, Elias, also had the condition and passed away at the age of nine months when a clot formed in his Berlin Heart after five weeks on the heart transplant list.

That’s why Alex’s parents, Elizabeth and Nickolas Kakias, feared the worst as Alex was also forced to wait for a transplant.

Alexander with his dad Nickolas, mum Elizabeth and brother Romeo at home. Picture: Sam Ruttyn.

“I could never imagine bringing him home. I thought it would be the same road as Elias where I didn’t get to bring him home,” Elizabeth told The Daily Telegraph.

The Peakhurst family had to uproot from Sydney in June to go to the Royal Children‘s Hospital in Melbourne, the only place in Australia where heart transplants are conducted.

Time and time again Alex got sick or needed more surgery. The months ticked on until the call came that a donor heart was a match for Alex.

“He went in at 10.30am and got out at 8pm. We got the phone call it went really well, he didn’t skip a beat and it went smoothly,” Elizabeth told the newspaper.

The day after Alex’s heart transplant.

“Everyone was so happy but I knew what the other mother was going through, so how could I be happy?

“I was happy for my child but very sad for her because she was going to bed without a child and I know exactly how she felt…”

The change in Alex was remarkable. He was out of ICU in five days and, on the ward, wanted to get back to the business of becoming a toddler after being bedridden for almost five months.

“It was a quick turnaround, he was amazing. Every check they have done has shown the heart is good…” Elizabeth said.

“Alex will grow up and I will remind him how lucky he is. He got the gift of life.”

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

Trump supporters storm US Capitol, lawmakers evacuated

The US Capitol is in chaos today as Trump supporters stormed the building and violently clashed with law enforcement.

Shooter Anna Korakaki takes the gold at the H&N Cup in Munich

Greek Olympic gold medalist and world champion shooter Anna Korakaki won a gold medal on Friday at this year’s H&N Cup in Munich, Germany, adding another accolade to her growing collection.

Uncovering the secrets of the Forgotten Flotilla off the coast of western Crete

Dr Michael Bendon shares how he uncovered the secrets of the Forgotten Flotilla off the coast of western Crete.