Alexander Kakias gets heart transplant for rare condition which claimed his brother’s life

·

At just 18 months of age, Alexander Kakias’ heart had given up and he relied on a Berlin Heart to keep him alive. This machine is a contraption that sits outside the body to pump blood when the heart can no longer do it.

Alex needed this machine as he suffered from Barth Syndrome, a rare condition characterised by an enlarged and weakened heart called dilated cardiomyopathy.

His brother, Elias, also had the condition and passed away at the age of nine months when a clot formed in his Berlin Heart after five weeks on the heart transplant list.

That’s why Alex’s parents, Elizabeth and Nickolas Kakias, feared the worst as Alex was also forced to wait for a transplant.

Alexander with his dad Nickolas, mum Elizabeth and brother Romeo at home. Picture: Sam Ruttyn.

“I could never imagine bringing him home. I thought it would be the same road as Elias where I didn’t get to bring him home,” Elizabeth told The Daily Telegraph.

The Peakhurst family had to uproot from Sydney in June to go to the Royal Children‘s Hospital in Melbourne, the only place in Australia where heart transplants are conducted.

Time and time again Alex got sick or needed more surgery. The months ticked on until the call came that a donor heart was a match for Alex.

“He went in at 10.30am and got out at 8pm. We got the phone call it went really well, he didn’t skip a beat and it went smoothly,” Elizabeth told the newspaper.

The day after Alex’s heart transplant.

“Everyone was so happy but I knew what the other mother was going through, so how could I be happy?

“I was happy for my child but very sad for her because she was going to bed without a child and I know exactly how she felt…”

The change in Alex was remarkable. He was out of ICU in five days and, on the ward, wanted to get back to the business of becoming a toddler after being bedridden for almost five months.

“It was a quick turnaround, he was amazing. Every check they have done has shown the heart is good…” Elizabeth said.

“Alex will grow up and I will remind him how lucky he is. He got the gift of life.”

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Izzy the Jerusalem Donkey’: Helen Lakatos releases new kids book for Orthodox Easter

Helen Lakatos is a first generation Australian-born Cypriot, proud mum of two grown boys, and a loving yiayia of three grandchildren.

Kastellorizo and its gold: Nick Bogiatzis to give lecture in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne will present a lecture entitled "Kastellorizo and its Gold" at the Greek Centre, on Thursday

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

You May Also Like

Greek Australian Jeremy Boulton progresses to the Finals of IFAC Singing Competition

23-year old Jeremy Boulton, who has Greek Australian heritage, has progressed to the Finals of the IFAC Handa Australian Singing Competition.

Hellenic Lyceum of Sydney’s book club honours bicentenary of Lord Byron’s death

The Hellenic Lyceum of Sydney's book club honoured the bicentenary of poet Lord Byron's death on Saturday, April 20.

Aegean ferries to lose $20 million in one month, market experts report

The 22 large ferries still providing coastal shipping services across the Aegean Sea are suffering daily losses of 660,000 euros.