The 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne, a Greek migrant and her wedding dress

·

The year was 1956 in Melbourne and the streets were filled with a festive atmosphere as people prepared for the arrival of athletes from across the world to perform in the Olympic Games.

Greek migrant, Nina Kondelos, was one of these people and as she became excited for the Games, she also began to imagine what her wedding dress would look like when she married the man of her dreams, Nicholaos, early the next year at the age of 22.

In the end, she wore a flowing white wedding dress from a bridal shop in Collins Street, Melbourne, with long sleeves and a cheeky twist – the Olympic rings embroidered around the bodice and waist.

Nina with her Olympics inspired wedding dress. Photo supplied.

“The Olympics were such a big thing here in Melbourne at the time and the Greeks would have been really proud that it started in Greece,” Debbie Argyropoulos, Nina’s daughter, tells The Greek Herald exclusively.

“Mum would usually make her own clothes but in this particular case she was lucky enough to have her wedding dress done at a beautiful bridal shop.”

Love at first sight:

Such a beautifully inspired dress was fit for a young girl like Nina who first migrated to Melbourne from Ithaca, Greece in 1953 after an earthquake devastated the island.

Her later-husband, Nicholaos, also migrated to the city in 1954 from the Greek island of Lesvos and Debbie says when he first laid eyes on Nina, it was love at first sight.

“My dad spotted her at some Greek dances and he said to his friend, ‘If I could, I would marry her straight away’,” Debbie says.

It was love at first fight for Nina and Nicholaos. Photo supplied.

A second chance meeting at a Greek cinema a few days later and then again at Nicholaos’ workplace at the Astor Radio Company sealed the deal.

“At work one day, lo and behold, dad looked up and she was coming in to get a job,” Debbie says with a laugh.

The rest, as they say, was history.

Nicholaos and Nina enjoyed their Olympics inspired wedding, had their first born son Foti (Philip) and when he was two years old in 1960, bought a fruit shop in Brighton called ‘Fresh Connection.’ Later, they had two other children, Debbie and Theo.

Finding the dress:

Although Nina has sadly passed away, her legacy lives on through her husband and children.

Debbie with her mum’s wedding dress. Photo supplied.

In fact, after 61 years, Debbie and Theo are still running their parent’s fruit shop and in a nice turn of events, it was at this shop where Debbie found her mother’s wedding dress again after many years.

“I didn’t think mum had the dress anymore and then when she passed away, I found it and I found it the same year as the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004,” Debbie says.

“I found it that year in a cupboard at our shop upstairs and I was really thrilled. I felt like it was sort of meant to be.

“It’s quite delicate now given so many years but it’s all in one piece.”

A special memento of a mother who clearly had a flair for fashion.

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Axion Esti’ concert to be celebrated in three Australian cities

Composer Mikis Theodorakis' stirring musical oratorio "Axion Esti" to lyrics by Nobel Prize-winning poet Odysseus Elytis set for Australia.

Greek Orthodox Community of SA youth enjoy Easter craft workshop

The Greek Orthodox Community of SA (GOCSA) youth took part in an Orthodox Easter Workshop on Sunday, April 21 at Olympic Hall.

Voting, Citizenship, Identity: Interview with Consul General of Greece in Adelaide, George Psiachas

In his exclusive interview with The Greek Herald, Consul General of Greece in Adelaide, George Psiachas unpacks core responsibilities.

Sydney’s Greek, Armenian and Assyrian communities March for Justice

The Armenian, Assyrian and Hellenic communities joined voices to demand Federal parliamentary recognition of their ancestors' genocides.

The Block winners Steph and Gian sell Bexley home for almost $2 million

Last year’s winners of The Block, Steph and Gian Ottavio, have sold their renovated home in Sydney's Bexley for $1,825,000.

You May Also Like

Thessaloniki commemorates 80th anniversary of Holocaust deportations

Thessaloniki held a memorial march on Sunday to mark 80 years since the first deportations of Greek Jews to Auschwitz-Birkenau camp.

Sydney Olympic FC claim top spot on leader board after victory against Northbridge

Sydney Olympic FC secured three crucial points as they defeated Northbridge Bulls 4-2 at Sydney United Sports Centre on Saturday afternoon.

TGH Exclusive: Multiculturalism Minister Geoff Lee thankful for Greek community’s response to restrictions

The Multicultural Ministry in NSW have been the guiding force for communicating Australia’s response to COVID-19 to the Greek community.